Dutch Hookbills and Pilgrim Geese, 6 months old

raindrop

Songster
11 Years
Feb 10, 2008
Western Oregon
Here are some pictures of the gang taken today. I love October in Oregon. These are from Holderread's, hatched early April. I have spent a considerable amount of time this summer trying to"train" the geese to stay off the porch. Completely unsuccessful, geese are smart. I told them today that for animals traditionally eaten for Thanksgiving or Christmas, they sure were walking a fine line.

IMG_4665.jpg

IMG_4668.jpg

IMG_4669.jpg

What beautiful pictures!
smile.png

I thought about getting some geese next spring, but my mom says they grab you and twist the skin on your arm. So needless to say, I will probably just enjoy other people's pictures of them for now. Well, at least until I hear differently....
wink.png

I have become a major fan of pilgrim geese after joining this group...i just think they're gorgeous and im very compasionate about them being so rare...would love to help keep their numbers up but myp arents would object to their messy poopers!LOL!

I even made a computer doodle of one wanna see! well here your'e seein it anyhow! HEHE

It's small because I was making it into a thumnail for peoples profile pictures...im planning on making an all breed thing...but it takes a while lol!

1smaller.jpg

Nice birds. It looks like the drakes and one of the hens are dusky bibbed while the other hen is just dusky, I wonder what the babies will look like. Also, I hate to 'rain on your parade' but arent the hook bills supposed to have curved bills?
Again very pretty birds,
Michael

No worries, no rain here. Their bills are getting more hooked as they get older, but they are not "show quality" stock so I don't know what they will end up like. Yes, one hen is a dusky. She has a very inquisitive personality.
They are very docile ducks and seem to be good layers.

I think I first heard about them in Sandhills catalog, they always seemed interesting. There is a breeder in Canada that has all sorts of odd waterfowl and he has some interesting colors of hookbills and on his site it says that they are great layers of blue eggs. It is almost tempting to get some just to have.

Back
Top Bottom