DW had a strange and unique idea!!!

SLWyandotte

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 23, 2011
Chatom, Alabama
she has always wanted to try falconry. she was wondering if a hawk could be trained to leave chickens alone, and drive off other hawks, since the yard would be it's territory. kinda like a air guard dog. i personally know almost nothing about raptors. just wondering what other's thoughts are on it.

Sounds cool, I don't know if the prey drive can be unlearned though.
cool.png

You need all kinds of special permits and extensive training to keep a falcon. They need lots of care and attention. No, I don't think they could be trained to overcome thousands of years of predator instinct. Sorry, But I don't think this is your solution.

i just thought it was an interesting idea. i wouldn't try it. i'm a paranoid type of person. i'd be scared that they would one day decide to try it and decide they liked chicken.

Several things against you. First, likely more than 65 million of years of natural selection for capacity to hunt other birds. Second, you may need to raise your guardian with chickens and based on limited experience I have the chickens might kill an eyas (nestling raptor) if they can, as they have some hardwired tendencies as well. Thirdly, you may have some disease exchange issues between bird species assuming first challenges are licked. Fourthly, I know of no raptors that would stay tight on such small location. Fifth, your raptor will be vulnerable to other raptors. Finally, legal issues already noted.

Still possible, remember wolves ---> dogs. I am sure wolves can be taught to leave poultry alone but roaming tendency would be a problem as with a trained raptor.

Human social rules in reality biggest obstacle.

Quote:
Funny but true.................. this just ain't gonna happen, noble idea though.

AL

Back
Top Bottom