dwarf billy goat potty training.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by EmaSe, Nov 27, 2008.

1. EmaSe

EmaSe New Egg

Nov 27, 2008
    can a billy goat be training to only potty outside?? i have heard myths of it and would love to try.

2. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    It can be done (saw it on t.v) but I have never tried it.

welcome to byc !

3. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I was raising a bottle baby Lamancha buckling this summer inside and he seemed to learn pretty quick. My husband said he was easier to train than the pups.
    Because I did have pups at the same time I was letting them out at the same time every 1-2 hours during the day, and the first thing in the morning and right after feedings.
    The buckling was in my utility room, right at the backdoor. I didn't expect him to be potty trained but he learned just like the pups did.
    As soon as he would wake up from a nap he would yell and outside he would go and pee. He couldn't hold it very long, so when he yelled I was right there to let him out.
    When he got his bottle as soon as he finished it I put him out and he peed. Again, you have to be quick with babies....it's milk in and pee out. Since it was summer alot of times I would sit on the back steps and give him his bottle and when he was finished he would jump off of the steps and pee in the grass.
    Anyway, it is possible. As long as you are dedicated and watch for the signs that they need to go. He did seem more aware of going pee outside than poops. When he had to pee he would yell and I had about three minutes to get him out.
    He's a big boy now and lives in the barn. But I do let him inside from time to time and he doesn't potty when he is in here, so he remembers.
    Good Luck! There are other reasons for not keeping a goat inside. They are destructive. Especially with garbage cans and paper. They are into everything.

4. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    I've trained them on peeing, both to go outside and to potty only on something (usually a towel, and that was an accident the first time), although I've had a few that would pee where ever they wanted no matter what I wanted. Pooping isn't so easy, never really got that one down, but in most cases by the time they did much pooping they were being moved out because they were to distructive in the house.

Personally I would not want a billy goat in the house, wether or doe maybe, but not a billy, way to stinky.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by