D'ya HAVE to tell everybody?

What's funny too is when you raid the nest box after the egg is layed but before the hen decides to get out... my Beatrix (andalusian) will sit in the box for an HOUR after laying and if I get her egg out before she's ready to leave, she will give an annoyed clucking and then egg "sing" for a while afterwards...and will only pause in her chorus to chug water or take a bite or two of food and then commence immediately... it's like "BaGaWK! Bock Bock *slurp* *slurp* GaWK!! BaGaWK!! Bock Bock *munch munch* GAWK!!"
lol.png

I just gave a loudmouth hen to a friend who didn't care about the noise. Out of my 4 new hens that have been laying for about a month, she was the noisiest. So far, for the last 3 days, I have gotten an egg from each but no cheering!:yiipchickjavascript:insert_text('
yippiechickie.gif
',%20''); I really hope they continue this. A wild turkey did go through the yard today and stopped to visit with them. They chatted with her for a while and then went back to doing what chickens do.

Quote:
lol.png
lol.png

Last year my neighbors got chickens, and had an accidental rooster. One day I was home and heard this conversation:
"Cock a doodle dooo!"
"Stop it"
"Cock a doodle dooo!"
"Stop it"
"Cock a doodle dooo!"
"Stop it"
"Cock a doodle dooo!"
"Stop it"
"Cock a doodle dooo!"
"Stop it"
"Cock a doodle dooo!"
"Stop it"
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

We have been enjoying nice weather here, so the windows have been open for the last several weeks. One of our girls, Daisy, lays around 6:45 every morning. I think it is the best alarm clock in the world! I love waking to that clucking and buh-gawking!!!

I have some that have to do the egg song before & after laying an egg. I just hate when they scam me & do the egg song & no egg!

Shoot, lately with the molting going on & no eggs, I've even tried to start the egg song myself (& the rooster chimes in too & so do the hens)... Hoping I can give them the hint that they been slacking....LOL Somebody's gotta lay some eggs!

This is so funny!! I am rather new to chickens but I never would think to want them to stop their vocalizations. It's impossible to tell a rooster to "Stop It" unless he's actually attacking you LOL. (And if that's the case he's not crowing but he's running with his head down and ready to put his spurs in you .....You need to put a stick on his back where you tell him You're the Man...
lol.png
------- without hurting him - just tell him you're dominant).

I actually say "Ur-UUURRR!!" in certain situations in the barnyard to communicate with the guys. And I wake up mostly on time because I have a reliable alarm clock!!!! Better than GE ever made!
smile.png

To me they are like teenage kids who just HAVE to do their social stuff and talk all about it.

I was a shy quiet bookish and nerdy teenager but I like the "Chickie Children" because of all the silly stuff they do. Not only the Buk Buk Gawk! but the roosters when they crow and most especially when Gentleman Rooster (the NICE one) fluffs his wings to greet me!!

Welll..the way I see it...

Labor is labor is labor!

While it's true that I cannot "experience" it, (I'm a man), I HAVE HEARD the "effects", several times!

Now...about the ROOSTERS, well, THAT'S a story for another thread...

I have 2 hens that are VERY vocal about their egg laying.....more so than the other 2 hens. I can actually hear them from our house when I have the windows closed. I LOVE the sound and will often open a window and listen so I get the full effects. We live just outside of the city limits and are on about 2 acres so don't have neighbors that are terribly close. One day one of our neighbors was working in his backyard and he & his wife both heard this terrible noise coming from our chickens. They thought we were gone and she told her husband he'd better go check on the chickens because something was wrong and it could be the fox again. He came running over into our yard (I was pulling weeds in a garden) and stopped when he saw me. He told me why he came running and we both had to laugh......one of the girls was laying her egg. I was so thankful though that they are watching out for my babies.
love.gif

Quote:
Don't you hate it when they do that - egg song but no egg. At one point, I thought mine had figured out that if they sing, I come out to visit them & maybe bring a treat. So they'd sing all day long, hoping for a treat.

Who said chickens were dumb?

Back
Top Bottom