1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dyeing a wool saddle blanket?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Cara, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I got a saddle blanket for Christmas, and the colours are a little wild for my taste. I've been trying to look into wool dyes to make it black or dark brown, but it seems you can only dye wool in simmering water, and I can't put a whole saddle blanket on top of the stove. Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations?

2. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Hmm, exchange it?

(I like the wild ones. :|)

3. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I can't, it came from the trade fair at the NFR and doesn't have tags.

4. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I'd try in the washing machine with hot water, instead of simmering. If you over dye with a brown it should mute the colors. I wouldn't expect perfection though.

5. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Thanks, i'll try that. It's rust, blue, jade green, and cream striped, so hopefully it might come out in various striped shades of brown.

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I think the washing machine idea is good

7. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    I've dyed them in the washing machine with Rite Dye. They make one that will dissolve in cold water. I can't promise what colors you will end up with, as they will combined to make a new color. If you just want to mute the colors, a taupe or tan color might work almost like tea staining fabric to make it look aged.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by