Dying chick

GemW

Chirping
May 17, 2023
Nebraska
I have 4 chicks that are 3 weeks old. Everyone's been great. Tonight I found on laying on its side kicking its legs like spinning in a circle. When I picked it up, it is constantly extending its legs pushing back. I separated it and gave it some egg yolk which it ate a little. It's head will droop and it's eyes are closed. I just got it to take some more yolk, even a little better than the first time but it's head is floppy and legs constantly moving and circling and then hyper extending. While I was feeding it it pooped. Can't see much from the pics but Idk what I'm looking at. Any idea what it is or if I can help or prevent my other chicks from the same fate?

It is from a local farm so I doubt it's vaccinated.

Attachments

• 20231006_232522.jpg
    20231006_232522.jpg
    532.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20231006_233102.jpg
    20231006_233102.jpg
    670.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231006_233107.jpg
    20231006_233107.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 9
I have corid.
Does it look like coccidiosis?
I havent seen any other bloody looking poop besides this one, which has been several hours after it started acting like this. Def could be there but I haven't noticed any.

Does it look like coccidiosis?
I havent seen any other bloody looking poop besides this one, which has been several hours after it started acting like this. Def could be there but I haven't noticed any.
Yes it does look like Cocci. I lost a few chicks to it this year. The one I took in for testing was laying on it's side unable to walk and shivering. While I was waiting for results I had another one with the same symptoms. Up to that point the only other thing I'd seen was occassional sneezing, Which I thought was from my choice of bedding. I give them peat moss so they can dustbathe inside.

I added medication to their water and it cleared up. The only chicks I lost were the 2 who couldn't walk anymore.

So def in the water of the 3 that are still acting fine. Should I try some for this guy and see if he'll drink it?

I got it to drink some and take a little more egg yolk. It's still laying on its side but did open its eyes for me when drinking. I dont have high hopes that it'll be alive in the morning but we'll see..

Back
Top Bottom