Dying chick?

keyt1969

Songster
9 Years
Aug 17, 2010
Eaton Rapids, Michigan
This is my first time incubating chicks and only one chick hatched late last night. It's a tiny bantam that took all day to hatch. Now it's 6:30 pm and it's not standing or holding it's head up. It tries to stand but it's like it's just too weak. It moves it's legs around fine but it just ends up rolling around. Its eyes are barely open.

Could it be it's just tired or should it be doing more by now? Is there anything else I should do?

Last edited:
Hatching is a hard process, normally they will rest for a couple hours to regain their energy. No need to worry until after 24 hrs it is not up and moving around. So leave it alone for now and make sure it is warm and that's about it. And if no more hatch you're gonna have to get it some friends!

Could be the baby is just plain whooped
But this is still what I would do..sugar in the water, and infant vitamins in the water..dip her beak in it every hour on the hour a few times and watch to see if she is drinking it..then also get some plain yogurt and wipe the edge of the beak and in her beak if she sceams with a little dab of yogurt..good for her guts

Xoxo

I do this with every single hatch..every weak one...and every single one especially that I had to hatch out myself or help

Is she also like not able to stand? And falls back on her bum..? If so I also treat them like spraddle legg when they do that..search spraddle leg

I take a band aide cut it it in half length wise and flip the little one on my lap and wrap the band aide so her legs are no wider then if she was normally standing usually that gauze section is the perfect width..and do that it helps thm eventually balance better and ...then the next day take it off..still falling over do it again..keep up with water..a little sugar and vitamins in the water again?.I bet third day..when u take off the band aide..the bevy will be super strong and all over the place
Xoxoo

Good luck
Xoxoxoox

Last edited:
Quote:
Nice advice wannabchick
thumbsup.gif
but would to much sugar be bad for new born chicks? or is it safe?

I had very weak chick at the feed store I work at come in. She was a golden sebright. My manager didnt think she would make it. I put electrolyte/vitamin in the water and about every fifteen minutes would drizzle the water along her beak. After a couple of hours got her to where she was a little more perky and set her by the waterer and tapped on the base. She stuck her beak in the water and started drinking. Then I put food on a paper towel and set her on the towel and tapped the food. She started eating by the time I left work she was up moving around. Next morning when I went in I couldnt tell which was the weak one. Sometimes they just need a little TLC

Back
Top Bottom