Dying chickens

Weaverfinch

In the Brooder
Dec 1, 2021
My chickens are in a coop, screen cloth buried 12" in ground, tarped and surrounded by logs, fed and watered twice a day, can't find any holes in coop, the coop was locked with zip tie last night and one chicken was still dead this morning. WHAT am I doing wrong?

Chickens can't be fed once or twice a day. They have to have food at all times.They will eat enough to fill their crops every day before they go to bed.They also have to have grit for it to digest. If they are going to bed hungry & you aren't feeding them correctly (during the day)they can die from malnutrition and hunger.The same is true about water.You can change it as many times a day as you want but they must have access to water all day.

Last edited:
My chickens are in a coop, screen cloth buried 12" in ground, tarped and surrounded by logs, fed and watered twice a day, can't find any holes in coop, the coop was locked with zip tie last night and one chicken was still dead this morning. WHAT am I doing wrong?
Did you find any injuries on the bird?If so what kind?

Chickens can't be fed once or twice a day. They have to have food at all times.They will eat enough to fill their crops every day before they go to bed.They also have to have grit for it to digest. If they are going to bed hungry & you aren't feeding them correctly (during the day)they can die from malnutrition and hunger.The same is true about water.You can change it as many times a day as you want but they must have access to water all day.
They have food buckets out there that are always full and I refill their water bowl every day. It never runs dry.

Apparently you were concerned the chickens didn't like the corn when you posted the question 'Will a chicken starve itself to death if it doesn't like the food?'

How many chickens do you have now and what do you feed it/them?
Please post photos!

Apparently you were concerned the chickens didn't like the corn when you posted the question 'Will a chicken starve itself to death if it doesn't like the food?'

How many chickens do you have now and what do you feed it/them?
Please post photos!
I only feed them chicken feed and fresh only vegetables, now.

Back
Top Bottom