Dying ducks

runningkaren

Chirping
13 Years
May 13, 2008
South Central PA
I have had 2 2-year-old runner ducks die in the last week. The first one appeared to not be able to walk, then could, then couldn't. Both showed signs first thing in the morning and died within a couple of hours. Their feed smells and appears fine, no injuries or clear sign of illness. It's almost like they had strokes. I can't find any toxin they are getting into. Ideas???

Sorry to hear that. :hugs
It could be so many things. Is there any mold? My feed tends to get moldy this time of the year.
Botulism? Any chemicals they could have ingested - rat poison?
Without a necropsy, it's just going to be guesses.

If it is heat related, then I'm sure you're doing all you can to keep them cool - shade, fresh water throughout the day, frozen water bottles around the run to sit by and cool off, etc.

Sorry to hear that. :hugs
It could be so many things. Is there any mold? My feed tends to get moldy this time of the year.
Botulism? Any chemicals they could have ingested - rat poison?
Without a necropsy, it's just going to be guesses.

If it is heat related, then I'm sure you're doing all you can to keep them cool - shade, fresh water throughout the day, frozen water bottles around the run to sit by and cool off, etc.
Thanks. I have checked the feed. They run free on a part of the farm and nothing has changed. They have access to shade and a large pond. I am clueless.

The symptoms you describe could, potentially, be attributable to botulism, like @Crazy Maizie mentioned, or exposure to toxic algae. I had Runners that exhibited similar symptoms, including paralysis, after getting into a puddle of stagnant water. The first was found dead in the coop and seemed anomalous until others began showing symptoms.

I encourage you to check your pond and any areas with standing water where they might be dabbling to ensure that there are no algae blooms.

The symptoms you describe could, potentially, be attributable to botulism, like @Crazy Maizie mentioned, or exposure to toxic algae. I had Runners that exhibited similar symptoms, including paralysis, after getting into a puddle of stagnant water. The first was found dead in the coop and seemed anomalous until others began showing symptoms.

I encourage you to check your pond and any areas with standing water where they might be dabbling to ensure that there are no algae blooms.
Thanks. I hadn't thought of that since they are always loose and exposed.

Back
Top Bottom