Dying fabric in HE washers?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by ozark_chickies, Nov 4, 2011.

1. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Has anyone tried this? I've been dying cloth for years in a standard washer, but we recently bought a HE and.... it runs so differently I am afraid to try it. I also can't find a soak cycle on my machine, and I always let the cloth and dye soak in my old one. If I try soaking in the HE by turning the cycle off or leaving the lid open, the thing drains.

2. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    I personally would be scared to try it, I don't have a HE washer. I usually dye fabric in a big rubbermaid container on the lawn

3. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    I cannot imagine it would work well because front loaders tumble rather than agitate and it would dye uneven or in clumps, I would recommend calling around a laundromat and see what their policies are or use a friends.

4. ebwy2

ebwy2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    front loaders are standard over here (UK) and we dye using Dylon with no problems

5. country lady

country lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Tennessee
    I would be afraid to dye in my HE washer. They cost so much and I've never owned such an expensive washing machine before. Several weeks ago mine had a problem light up because I added too much soap. I have always used detergent sparingly but must have used too much because after I dug out and followed the manual the problem went away.

6. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Thanks for the replies [​IMG] . I don't think I will chance it. I think I will try Carol's method out in the yard. None of my friends dye, and it can color the tub, so I don,t want to dye anyones washer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by