Dying or sleeping

PaisleyChickMama

Songster
Oct 1, 2022
Zearing Iowa
I’ve had such bad go with these chicks, I had 6 die on me so I got 7 more to replace them today and I see a couple of them look like they’re sleepy or lagging. Wondering if they’re dying or just sleepy? I’ve raised baby ducks with no casualties or problems other than one getting angel wing which I’m thinking is genetic since no one else got them. I’m realizing chicks are much more fragile… if anyone can help please chime in so I know what to do

It's normal for chicks to sleep a lot but if they are constantly acting like that there is a problem. Do you know what the temperature is in their hot spot? Are they always huddling under the heat?

I’ve had such bad go with these chicks, I had 6 die on me so I got 7 more to replace them today and I see a couple of them look like they’re sleepy or lagging. Wondering if they’re dying or just sleepy? I’ve raised baby ducks with no casualties or problems other than one getting angel wing which I’m thinking is genetic since no one else got them. I’m realizing chicks are much more fragile… if anyone can help please chime in so I know what to do

Looks sleepy, it's still getting up and moving when bumped so not getting trampled YET or showing actual lethargy.. were they shipped? How many days? Is that the cause of the previous loss, shipping stress? Sorry for your experience!

Is there anything in their water (vitamins or electrolytes)? Have you seen it drink and eat or poop?

Keep an eye on it.. check for pasty butt.

Cute babies! :love

Looks sleepy, it's still getting up and moving when bumped so not getting trampled YET or showing actual lethargy.. were they shipped? How many days? Is that the cause of the previous loss, shipping stress? Sorry for your experience!

Is there anything in their water (vitamins or electrolytes)? Have you seen it drink and eat or poop?

Keep an eye on it.. check for pasty butt.

Cute babies! :love
One of the originals has pasty butt but I have been wiping it

I just put brown sugar and electrolytes in their water. Our thermometer is giving out 80 on the side of the bucket so I’m assuming it’s around 95 or so in the middle, they’re not huddling together. They started huddling when I checked up on them because they were scared of me I think.

The originals died due to temperature, I used a hot plate instead of a heat lamp and they couldn’t handle being out from under the plate because it was so cold in our garage. So we switched back to a heat lamp.

My chick also tends to sleep a lot. She’s eating and drinking good. I have vitamins and electrolytes in their food/water. I check her for pasty butt. She gets up and moves around easily, when I tap her she moves around fine. She just seems to sleep a lot. Is that normal? I have another chick with her that has a lot more energy then she does and is constantly digging around and playing, so I’m not sure if there’s something to be worried about with my newest chick sleeping a lot or if she just likes to sleep and is a little stressed out from just getting her?

My chick also tends to sleep a lot. She’s eating and drinking good. I have vitamins and electrolytes in their food/water. I check her for pasty butt. She gets up and moves around easily, when I tap her she moves around fine. She just seems to sleep a lot. Is that normal? I have another chick with her that has a lot more energy then she does and is constantly digging around and playing, so I’m not sure if there’s something to be worried about with my newest chick sleeping a lot or if she just likes to sleep and is a little stressed out from just getting her?
Does she go right back to sleeping after you tap her and she moves?

Does she go right back to sleeping after you tap her and she moves?
Typically she continues to run around a little bit before going back to sleep, she might eat a little or get a drink or peck around. Sometimes she will go back to sleep fairly quick though.

She sounds stressed, a lot of the babies that this happened to died if I didn’t fix the problem. Do you have an accurate thermometer to make sure it’s not too cold or hot? I bought the paper thermometers but later found it wasn’t accurate and used a freezer thermometer. I changed my setup to include a heat lamp And a brooder heat plate. That way if it was too cold or too hot they could go under the heat plate but it still wouldn’t be freezing temperatures if they wanted to go get water or food in the other area of the brooder, and this ended up working really really well for me I didn’t have to keep adjusting the heat lamp because it wasn’t my primary source of heat.

If you are sure that the heat source is ok then I would try electrolytes, sugar or honey water, or egg yolk.

Back
Top Bottom