Dying Rat

LittleFalcon

Songster
May 10, 2020
One of my favorite rats is dying. His name is Mr. Ruffles. He is a male mink verigated rex dumbo. He is the result in the crossing of a pearl verigated with a flame point himilayan. He is not even close to a year old and I am not sure why he is dying. I breed rats. He is a sweetheart. I currently have him in a nest made of a soft shirt on a heat pad on my bed. He seems to be making slow progress but once he looked like he was in death rows and another moment he looked fine and then all the sudden flew off the bed! when I picked him up he had a shear look of terror in his eyes. i put him back and his heartbeat and breathing seem to be getting stronger but I am not sure he will make it. I will miss him terribly if he dies. I have his mom, his half sister and half brother but it will not be the same. He is starting to make slight squeaks but he is also kicking quite a bit which I see the rats do in death rows all the time but his heart is still improving.

As a rat breeder i am used to seeing rats die. But I have never had one die in my hands. And ruffles was a favorite of me and my moms. I even tried to give the poor thing cpr after it died

I am so sorry for your loss. As you know, rats only live a few years. But your boy was young. I hope the others you have are healthy and thriving. My husband and I have rescued rats for years. They are smart, social and they love any interaction with people.

yes the rest of my rats are happy and healthy. I am wondering if he had something internally wrong

I will miss him but maybe his mother will produce something similar to him if i breed her with his half brother related on the fathers side

Back
Top Bottom