Earliest Hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by scoopy82, May 26, 2011.

1. scoopy82

scoopy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    Just wondering how early anyone has hatched a chick and had it survive? I got to thinking about this after someone saying that they'd heard peeping on day 15, followed by people hatching chicks on day 18 and then candling my own and thinking 'wow there is almost no room left in there and they are only on day 11)! although i seriously lack experience so they could be looking completely normal [​IMG]
    So how early have you had a chick hatch?

2. MuscovyMad

MuscovyMad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    My ealiest has been day 21 lol. But i've heard it's common for bantams to hatch around day 18.

3. chicksntexas

chicksntexas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Magnolia, TX
    Hi scoop! My first hatch I had 3 of 7 make it. 2 on day 19, 1 on day 20 - I had to help this one as the membrane was dry. All are happy and well. [​IMG] The 4 that didn't make it, 3 were dried in and 1 was wet, but all were fully developed. I'm still trying to figure out why! Have LG w/fan & auto turner. My temps varied quite a bit and humidity fluctuated too. The room effects the incubator more than I expected, so I learned alot. I just set 37 more, hopefully what I learned from the first hatch will help on the second!

4. silkie_sue

silkie_sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    Keokuk, Iowa
    My earliest was day 19. A over anxious Showgirl...[​IMG]

5. scoopy82

scoopy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    Well day 19 is doable then by the sounds of it, are they like premmie babies and need extra care or were they simply ready to get out and did so?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by