Earliest I might start getting eggs?

cjweaver13

Chirping
Jun 18, 2021
Northeast Pennsylvania
I have 15 pullets that are 10 weeks old as of yesterday, and am wondering if the weather stays mild like it is and light output around the 15 hours mark when I should start seeing eggs, and also when should I start putting straw or something in the nesting boxes for them?

The flock is 4 RIR, 4 austrolorpes, 3 barred rocks, 2 buff orps, and 2 ameraucanas. I've read the rocks and aussies can lay as early as 16 weeks which puts us basically to the first week of October realistically. They're all developing very nicely so far and looking good regardless. Was hoping to get a few eggs just before it starts getting cold in November so I at least have a few chickens laying through the winter but we'll see obviously

when should I start putting straw or something in the nesting boxes for them?
I just opened nest boxes this morning.
20210825_053541_resized.jpg
20210825_053923_resized.jpg

My girls are 15 weeks old today and a couple have been pushing shavings into a corner of the coop.
I have Barred Rocks and Rhode Island Reds.
20210825_054128_resized.jpg

I put shavings in nests and ceramic eggs.
I also put out a container of Oyster Shells.
20210825_054229_resized.jpg

GC

I have 15 pullets that are 10 weeks old as of yesterday, and am wondering if the weather stays mild like it is and light output around the 15 hours mark when I should start seeing eggs,
As sourland said, I would expect to see first eggs in November, though some may not lay till December. GC

when I should start seeing eggs
Basically when you see one. You are apparently extending the lights so that part is out of the equation. Chickens can't read so they don't know what they are supposed to do based on breed, age, time of year, or anything else. The earliest I've seen those breeds or equivalent start to lay is 16 weeks, the latest is 9 months. I can't give you any kind of guarantee.

With that said I agree with them. I wouldn't be surprised if you saw an egg or two in late October and I'd expect some of them, maybe most, to be laying by the end of November.

also when should I start putting straw or something in the nesting boxes for them?
Since it is possible (not likely but possible) that one could be laying by the time they are 16 weeks, I'd suggest what Raptor did. Have the nests ready for them a week earlier. That way you are covered.

Was hoping to get a few eggs just before it starts getting cold in November so I at least have a few chickens laying through the winter but we'll see obviously
Even if they are not laying before it gets cold, do not give up hope. I've had some lay their first egg in early December without extending the lights. About the shortest days of the year. They can't read so they don't know what they are supposed to do. It sure makes it interesting.

Back
Top Bottom