1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

earliest layers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crystal94040, Nov 12, 2007.

1. crystal94040

crystal94040 Songster

Aug 15, 2007
    I'm just starting to get anxious about getting eggs in the next couple of months. I'm a first timer and I'm wondering when I should expect eggs. I've heard 4-6 months but I'm wondering if it varies by breed? And once they are all laying regularly how many eggs a week do you think we will have (ballpark)

we have
    1 australorp, 1 plymouth, 1 delaware
    2 Buff Orpington's and a Red Star.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member 11 Years

Most likely your Red Star will be an early layer because that's what they're bred for. The others can vary; seems this year alot of breeds we used to know would lay between 18-22 weeks have been laying WAY late, like my Speckled Sussex girl, who just laid her first egg at 29 wks and 2 days old, about as old as my Buff Brahma when she started. You expect it of a Brahma, but not a SS.

3. bluerose

bluerose Songster

Oct 21, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I have 3 BO's and a RIR- I think 3 of them are laying (2 BOs and the RIR I suspect) now, one for the past 2-3 weeks and two over the weekend.

They were born in the beginning of June- so 5ish months old.

[​IMG]

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging 7 Years

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Those are all good layers - you'll have the occasional day when they all lay. 4 or 5 should be your average in spring and summer.

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    The earliest first egg I ever got was from a Golden Buff hybrid, and she layed her first egg at 17 weeks old.

6. gordonburrito

gordonburrito Songster

Apr 4, 2010
    Mid-Missouri
    Most likely 4-5 per day..... so something like 31-35 a week.

7. KimM

KimM In the Brooder

Jan 9, 2011
    About half of mine started laying at 5 months. The rest kicked in between 5-7 months, except for 2 that are not even laying yet at 9 months (a Brahma and a Silver Wynadotte).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: