Early chick problems

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Painted Spirit, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Painted Spirit

Painted Spirit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    I had 20 out of 24 eggs on my first try develop in the incubator. 5 or 6 pipped and then quit. 14 or so hatched but with major problems. 2 had huge navel hernias that I had to cull, 6 or 7 never dried properly so I gave them a quick warm dunk to try and get them cleaned - found out afterwards that was a no-no. Out of 8 Light Brahmas from the same seller, 6 had toes that curled inwards and even with some bandaids they didn't straighten and the chicks declined and by day 4 I was down to 2 Lt Brahams and 2 Dominiques (I had 3 Doms that hatched - I was standing on his insides, poor thing!)

I had a still air HovaBator that I probably ran 1 degree too low - I kept it at 100 for most of the hatch. I did add an incubator fan at day 7. Before the fan went in I increased the temp to 102, now I've backed it down to 100-101.

Could the Lt Brahma chicks be too closely related and that be the problem or was it more of a bator issue?

I've got my fingerstoesnand elbows crossed for this next bunch due next Friday!

2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by