Early Hatcher Still in Turner Need Advice Quick

Wi_Pida

Songster
Mar 21, 2019
Gresham, Wisconsin
This is a first for me. I’m on day 13 of incubation and one chick just popped out. I know I need to let it dry but with the rocker still in is it safe to leave it in the incubator? It’s very active and strong. Need advice ASAP.

Wow day 13?! What is your temperature setting? Was this egg under a broody hen before placed in the incubator? Get your brooder heated up and ready now. I'd let the chick get at least half dry before moving it, keep a close eye on it and then move it to the brooder. The others might not be far behind if this little one is any indication...

Edited to add: Can you turn the the rocker/egg turner off without opening the incubator?

Last edited:
Wow day 13?! What is your temperature setting? Was this egg under a broody hen before placed in the incubator? Get your brooder heated up and ready now. I'd let the chick get at least half dry before moving it, keep a close eye on it and then move it to the brooder. The others might not be far behind if this little one is any indication...
I have a couple broody hens. It’s a real good possibility that one of them did hide a couple egg and bring it to the nesting boxes. Temp has been a steady 99.6 with humidity of 49 to 55%.

This is the first time I’ve had a chick hatch a this early. I only found out it hatched because I was checking on my turkey poults and I heard peeping from the wrong direction. LOL

Added: thanks for the advice of turning off the turner. I was just falling asleep when the peeping started. My brain hasn’t woke up yet, 3:30 am is way to early to be dealing with this. Ugh

Last edited:
Ok so the other eggs may not be as far along in development. I would turn the egg turner off temporarily until you get the baby chick moved out and then turn it back on. Maybe give him a mirror in the brooder (hand mirror?) so he doesn't feel alone.

I'm curious how they hid a couple eggs and moved them lol. But yeah hens can be super sneaky sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom