Early hatching and this end up?

Kansaseq

Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
NE Kansas
HI. I am currently incubating my first batch that is due to hatch the 21st. The eggs are in a super cool Brinsea Octagon borrowed from a friend, which I have learned is pretty nice as I don't have to do anything. But tonight I noticed that one of the eggs has the start of a small hole at the top. Is is normal for them to try to come out early? Also, I know the big end goes up,but sometimes it can be hard to tell which end is the big end. If I have some of them screwed up, will the chicks drown? Is it better to leave them on their sides for the incubation process?
hmm.png

Hmm, I am pretty new to all this but a week early seems really early! Did you candle the eggs and see if they were developing at any point? It may be that it is an infertile egg or stopped developing and it's rotting and breaking apart. I might take it out and candle it to see what the deal is.. It may be better than letting it bust in the incubator and contaminate all your other eggs. Best of luck!
Sara

I'm very new too, but I agree that you should candle it, because from what I've read, there is nothing worse than a rotten egg exploding in you bator. EWW. And a week early seems really really early, unless the chicken was able to sit on it for a week before you put it in the incubator. But again, I'm very new, working on my first hatch now, so hopeflly someone more experianced will come along. Good Luck! But then again, I've heard that after they begin to hatch you souldn't touch the egg unless you really have too, so I'm not sure what you should do? LOL, I don't think I was very much help.

Last edited:
Ok, my bad! Sorry, I meant that they are due to hatch on Sunday, so only a day or so early. It's definitely alive, as I can see its little beak moving around. I tried to candle early on with a flashlight but didn't have much luck. Didn't realize that there was a danger of exploding eggs. And I am afraid to open the bator now.

And the owner of the bator is out of town--he was my go to person for this!!

Oh, well 1-2 days isn't bad, your incubator is probably just running a little hot. And exploding eggs would have happend by now, and you'd smell them long before they got the chance to explode, LOL, Didn't mean to scare you
lau.gif
But try not to worry, i'm sure your baby is gonna be fine. Good Luck!

Actually, I have no sense of smell, so I wouldn't be able to smell it before it blew.It's good to know that they are past that danger, though. So will all of them come out early? He's the only one so far.

Ok, much better! A day or so early is fine! Do NOT open the bator!!! Everything I have read says no no no, you will get a better hatch if you just leave things alone and dont disturb. I would guess that most of the chicks would hatch with in the next few days. The baby chick that is hatching now should be fine without food or water for a few days while the rest hatch. So - Congratulations on your babies!!! I cant wait for my first hatch!
Sara

it is not to bad to have one hatch on day 19 and even 20 i have had some that were set upside down and hatched ok. during the incubation process i keep mine up but i use a truner and then on day 18 lay thelm on there side. I do know some that hatch with the eggs on there side and do ok with hatches. but it is best to have thelm up with small end down.

Well, he/she made it out fine and is resting in the bator. No action from the other 11, but one did seem to be moving last night. Guess I forgot the part about removing the dividers and laying the eggs on their sides--oops.
I feel bad about leaving the little chick in there all alone, and it gets excited and cheeps at me when it sees me. I know it 's just imprinting, but it's still pretty endearing.
smile.png
Don't worry, I will not open the bator.
Thanks for holding my hand through this!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom