Early laying patterns

JBchickenlover

Hatching
Jul 15, 2021
Hello! This is my first flock, we have 13 Rhode Island whites who are 18.5 weeks old. For the last week we have consistently been getting 4-7 eggs all in their nesting boxes so we are quite pleased! I’m curious if you all think these are the same hens, in which case should I expect the others to start soon? What’s the typical time frame before a whole flock is laying consistently? TIA!

Hello! This is my first flock, we have 13 Rhode Island whites who are 18.5 weeks old. For the last week we have consistently been getting 4-7 eggs all in their nesting boxes so we are quite pleased! I’m curious if you all think these are the same hens, in which case should I expect the others to start soon? What’s the typical time frame before a whole flock is laying consistently? TIA!
I doubt all your pullets are laying. Some start much later. Once you get 11-12 eggs a day, you will know they are all laying. RIRs are egg machines, especially their first year. They may take a rest during winter, when there is not enough sunlight though.

I doubt all your pullets are laying. Some start much later. Once you get 11-12 eggs a day, you will know they are all laying. RIRs are egg machines, especially their first year. They may take a rest during winter, when there is not enough sunlight though.
That makes sense, I kind of figured that would be the case. Just interesting because they have been pretty consistent 5-6 eggs a day for the last few days, I kinda figured we would slowly creep up in counts but maybe we will see a jump at some point?
RIWs are supposed to have similar production to RIRs but they have a little milder temperament which is why we chose them.

That makes sense, I kind of figured that would be the case. Just interesting because they have been pretty consistent 5-6 eggs a day for the last few days, I kinda figured we would slowly creep up in counts but maybe we will see a jump at some point?
RIWs are supposed to have similar production to RIRs but they have a little milder temperament which is why we chose them.
Oh, so you have RIWs. Well, the timing is a little odd for new layers. Since daylight hours are going to go down soon, in a few months, they may not all lay before they stop laying for a while. Sometimes, new layers may lay through winter, but sometimes not. The best clue is that your pullets start to get red combs and wattles.

Oh, so you have RIWs. Well, the timing is a little odd for new layers. Since daylight hours are going to go down soon, in a few months, they may not all lay before they stop laying for a while. Sometimes, new layers may lay through winter, but sometimes not. The best clue is that your pullets start to get red combs and wattles.
I had heard that about the combs and wattles. Most have combs and wattles that seem to have matured pretty quickly in the last few weeks but I have a few that are still pretty pink so I assume those are going to be later bloomers. But that only accounts for maybe 2 or 3.

I had heard that about the combs and wattles. Most have combs and wattles that seem to have matured pretty quickly in the last few weeks but I have a few that are still pretty pink so I assume those are going to be later bloomers. But that only accounts for maybe 2 or 3.
Have they started to squat? Thats another sign. The best way to find
out who is laying is the pelvis trick. Chickens have a bone directly under their vent. Only if you can stick 2 fingers between that bone can an egg come out. So your layers would have a pelvis bone that is atleast 2 fingers apart. Thats the best way to test.

Have they started to squat? Thats another sign. The best way to find
out who is laying is the pelvis trick. Chickens have a bone directly under their vent. Only if you can stick 2 fingers between that bone can an egg come out. So your layers would have a pelvis bone that is atleast 2 fingers apart. Thats the best way to test.
Oh interesting! Good to know, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom