Early mating behaviour?

TillyD

Songster
Jun 1, 2022
Please say hello to my 11 week old Barred Rock Cockerel, Chimkin! Named thusly by my 9 year old... Chimkin is a total sweetie. He will sit in your lap and let you pet him. My 9 and 7 year olds tote him around like Paris Hilton carries purse chihuahuas. He loves his humans! Today, my husband noticed him clamping/biting the back of the neck of one of our pullets. A quick search here tells me this may be early mating behavior? Is he too young for that? Should I worry he will get too aggressive for my pullets?
Also, of my 8 chickens I have had since they were a day old, 6 seem to be roosters. We will be rehoming Chimkin and any others that seem like they would make a good roo for a flock... Some might go to freezer camp... But do I need to worry about separating the roos from the hens soon? I was waiting til 16-18 weeks... Will that be too late with so many cockerels and not many pullets?
Thanks for your thoughts on the matter!
Picture of my Maran and Austrolorpe pullet for tax. Lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220619-211715_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220619-211715_Gallery.jpg
    611.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20220617-212825_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220617-212825_Gallery.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 4
The time to separate/slaughter is when the cockerels become a stressor for the girls.
Behavior counts more than weeks of age.
Get a separation place ready now, when it gets ugly it can happen fast.

The time to separate/slaughter is when the cockerels become a stressor for the girls.
Behavior counts more than weeks of age.
Get a separation place ready now, when it gets ugly it can happen fast.
We have a roo run set up... I had hoped it would take happen til I had more than two hens! 😌 We are watching closely... We just extended their run, and they seem to be doing better today....

Back
Top Bottom