Early season McMurray chicks dying

I'm so sorry your losing your chicks. I wish I had some advice but the only thing those symptoms bring to mind for me is coccidosis. If they do have cocci you usually can be successful by treating the whole flock of chicks with Amprolium. The brand name differs depending where you are at in the country but where I live the brand name is Corid. Coccidosis CAN be present without the presentation of bloody stool. If they have been exposed to soil or even there own waste it is possible for them to contract coccidosis. Use your best judgment based on there behavior to treat or not. Thats just what comes to mind with those symptoms. It could also be shipping stress. sorry i couldnt be more help.Good luck and I'm sorry for your losses.
yeah it has been a bummer losing so many. ..thanks for the advice !!

I have received my new flock yesterday and so far around 5 chicks have died out of 36. ..they just get really lethargic and sleepy looking and just fall over after about 12 hours. Don't know if it is fairly normal or the bad weather and cold coming from the hatchery. ..dono... any suggestions. ..I have the broader set up correctly by the book...
The chicks effected just seem not to be able to get up on there feet and die...please need some helpful advice
Thanks !!
How To Deal With Travel Stress In Baby Chicks
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/746509/how-to-deal-with-travel-stress-in-baby-chicks
Best,
Karen

More casualties. ..since I received my order Fri at 2pm and 12 today..Sunday PST I have lost 15 birds and counting ...2 more on the short road out. ..there is something seriously wrong with the birds...Im not a stranger to raising chicks and never had this many die in less the 48 hours after arrival. ..don't think it is something obviously in plane site. ..all look healthy one minute and the next... two more bite the dust....

Last edited:
I have received my new flock yesterday and so far around 5 chicks have died out of 36. ..they just get really lethargic and sleepy looking and just fall over after about 12 hours. Don't know if it is fairly normal or the bad weather and cold coming from the hatchery. ..dono... any suggestions. ..I have the brooder set up correctly by the book...
The chicks effected just seem not to be able to get up on there feet and die...please need some helpful advice
Thanks !!
Hi,
frow.gif

Here ya go:
How to Deal With Travel Stress in Baby Chicks:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/746509/how-to-deal-with-travel-stress-in-baby-chicks
Best Success,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom