Early stages of Angel Wing?

Johnny00

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2021
London, UK
Hi everyone,

So, I am very new to keeping ducks. It was only a few weeks back when I got my first 3 ducklings. One of them, 5 weeks old Khaki Campbell, who was given to me by a friend after she realised there was no way she could keep it in a flat, and two 4 weeks old Silver appleyards (one of them doesn’t seem to have the typical SA colouration for some reason :idunno) that I bought to keep it company after soaking up hundreds of articles and an intensive research on duck care.

Their feathers have recently started to come through and I have notice the right wing on my Khaki Campbell is sticking out instead of laying flat and under the rest of the wing. I have gone through several posts and some say it could only be its flight feathers starting to grow but thought I would just post some pictures and get yous lot opinions instead

could this be Angel Wing? Or am I being a hypochondriac lol?

thank you in advance and hope the pics are of help!

B33DE4E1-DE87-487E-8963-B0490EA7DF5D.jpeg

BE483D89-89D7-474B-9413-4C1DE3C5EE4D.jpeg
0A5B4933-F0BC-4E2D-87F0-FECF7F71E1BB.jpeg
8276AE5A-81CB-49BE-AAE0-D71CEFBEB227.jpeg

It's a bit early. Just keep an eye on it. Those duckling wings tend to do a lot of growing and cause concern for us duck owners. Generally it's just growth. But, its good to be on top of things if needed.

Silver appleyards can throw white with little pattern if that is what your SA is looking like.
Welcome to the world of ducks. :frow

It's a bit early. Just keep an eye on it. Those duckling wings tend to do a lot of growing and cause concern for us duck owners. Generally it's just growth. But, its good to be on top of things if needed.

Silver appleyards can throw white with little pattern if that is what your SA is looking like.
Welcome to the world of ducks. :frow
Great! Knew I was being a bit paro :rolleyes: I will deffo keep an eye on it in the next few weeks.

Yes, one of them has the white/leopard like pattern and the other one it’s just overall brown (looks like a mallard?).

Its bill is quite dark for a SA. The other thing that I read about the hatchery SA is they aren't always true to the standards. I've seen white versions, but not brown. What color are the feet?

If those were the only ducks there, then she's definitely SA. Maybe its because she's a mini? As well, SA were created by a mixture of ducks that include rouen. Maybe she's just throwing more rouen.
I contemplated getting some silver appleyard ducks and joined a FB group. It was all about standards. I'm sure they'd have a few things to say. 😆 I left that group because they were a little harsh regarding standards even when people pointed out they already knew the bird wasn't meeting standards. I wasn't in the group for standards anyway. It's a pet to me, not a breeding program. 😊

If those were the only ducks there, then she's definitely SA. Maybe its because she's a mini? As well, SA were created by a mixture of ducks that include rouen. Maybe she's just throwing more rouen.
I contemplated getting some silver appleyard ducks and joined a FB group. It was all about standards. I'm sure they'd have a few things to say. 😆 I left that group because they were a little harsh regarding standards even when people pointed out they already knew the bird wasn't meeting standards. I wasn't in the group for standards anyway. It's a pet to me, not a breeding program. 😊
Oh nah I couldn’t care less! 🤷🏽‍♂️ I love my babies regardless and to be honest, she’s got some pretty feather patterns coming through still, so not bothered at all and very excited to see how they all end up looking when they’re fully grown 😬😬😬

Back
Top Bottom