Easiest way to catch a chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FunkyFaith, Sep 27, 2015.

1. FunkyFaith

FunkyFaith Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2015
    We let our 3 hens roam during the day in our yard. We have plenty of large bushes and evergreens. Two of our hens are very easy to catch they simple squat down and let us pick them up, but one hen goes baserk. She runs all around darting between trees. I want to be able to catch here like the other chickens. Any tips?

2. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Treats!

I trained mine with mealworms (or black soldier fly larvae) and raisins. Each night when it's time to go in, they see the treat can (old planters peanuts can)...and I don't even need to shake it. They see me pick it up and come running from all over the yard. They run in the coop, turn around, and wait for me to throw them a handful.

The other benefit of training them to do this is that if I have them out free ranging (supervised!) and something comes up to where I can't watch them, I can very quickly get them all back in the coop.

3. Pooman

Pooman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Leg hook.... Long bit of wire with hook bent in end to snag the chook.

Or the art of chicken stalking, dont look at them, move to the side rather than at them. Call them like a rooster, pluck bits of grass and stuff and chuck it around... Then swipe a leg, secure them, then speak calmly to relax them

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Chickens are prey animals, and for the most part catching them is stressful. Sometimes you have to, a large fish net has worked well for me. However, a sorting stick, some treats, and routine is a better way to round them up, than catching them each time.

Mrs K

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by