East Frisian Gulls

orrpeople

Grading essays - be back soon!
6 Years
Jun 15, 2016
State of Jefferson
I have been spending way to much time on the rare breed auction site, and curiosity finally killed the cat... (and the price finally became more reasonable for a small hobby farmer like me) I bought some East Frisian Gulls - silver, gold, and lemon. I am hoping some of you with experience with these birds will help dialogue with me as I raise them. Here's a pic of the little silvers. The gold and lemon are "in the mail" as I write!
IMG_20170607_130140_kindlephoto-24655195.jpg
IMG_20170607_130134_kindlephoto-24676195.jpg

Here is what they look like at 1 week. I really love the feather patterning on their itty-bitty wing feathers. So far, they're fairly mellow little chooks.
IMG_20170612_112855_kindlephoto-87460392.jpg
IMG_20170612_112835.jpg

What do you think of them now? I haven't seen any in person, but the online photos are beautiful. I'm reading that they can be nervous and flighty.
I've also developed the very dangerous habit of lurking on the rare breed auction site, where there is currently a group of 10 chicks at $6, with 22 hours to go.

What do you think of them now? I haven't seen any in person, but the online photos are beautiful. I'm reading that they can be nervous and flighty.
I've also developed the very dangerous habit of lurking on the rare breed auction site, where there is currently a group of 10 chicks at $6, with 22 hours to go.
Well, so far I haven't been able to spend as much time with them as I should to figure out their personalities, so, of course, they're terrified of me. But, not more terrified than any other breed I have pretty much allowed to raise itself :) . They are really beautiful though, especially the silvers, and I'm beginning to be able to distinguish cockerel from pullet (I think I am, once again, cockerel heavy -sigh). I would love to have more folks to "raise them with" though, to be able to figure out their quirks, work on color and type attributes, and generally share experiences with...so if you bid on them, and get them, I wouldn't be complaining one bit!! :lol:

They're such pretty birds! And in the first photo I can see that they do look a little like seagulls.
I didn't win that auction, but lurking on rarebreeds has become my dangerous hobby, so there's no telling what I'll end up with. They just put up a new offer of 10 silvers, maybe I should bid just to see what happens?

They're such pretty birds! And in the first photo I can see that they do look a little like seagulls.
I didn't win that auction, but lurking on rarebreeds has become my dangerous hobby, so there's no telling what I'll end up with. They just put up a new offer of 10 silvers, maybe I should bid just to see what happens?
I should post some more pics. They are growing really fast, and they sure are pretty little things - especially the gold ones. The Silver somehow have maintained the ability to dust bathe and still look sparkling white... wish they'd teach their technique to my light Brahmas that always look like pig pens walking around my yard!

I am very curious to see and hear how your east Frisian gulls turned out. I have some 6 week olds right now. ESP interested to learn if those you thought were Roos were in fact roosters, thanks

Back
Top Bottom