Easter chicks...small rant

Glad my state has a 12 chick minimum(under 4 weeks) duckling gosling and bunny law. Those animals are also illegal to sell or gift "colored.

I have a bunch of chicks hatching during this season and I cringe thinking of all the others selling along right with me on local ads who are only selling for easter chicks (and stating so in their titles). Makes me sad for the chickies, bunnies and ducks.

I wont sell to anyone who would be that ignorant. My birds go to experienced people, OR those who want to learn and are getting them for the right reasons. Its all we can do.
hugs.gif

In my 21 years of parenting, I have never, ever thought of getting my children chicks for Easter. WHY do people do that? Because chicks are cute? Well, yeah they are -- but they aren't exactly the most sanitary "toy" for small children.
roll.png

I think this topic is a prime reason for farm stores to set such high minimums. When you have chickens and don't want to buy 25, ( Rural King) its a pain in the rear. But on the flip side it prevents a lot of unwanted easter presents.

Colored chicks are like hermit crabs in painted shells. People buy them for their painted shells and keep them in a dry terrarium 1 ft by 6 in with gravel. They are cold and are fed commercial food that isn't good for them. They have no saltwater like they would in the wild. They need temperature, humidity, at least 4 inches of wet sand to shed their exoskeletons in, extra shells, room, and saltwater. The paint on the shells can be toxic to crabs. Kept in such bad conditions, they die within a month. In right conditions people have kept them for 30 years.

Quote:
You sure are right about that. And they really aren't appropriate for the very young child either, they wouldn't know how to handle and care for such a fragile little animal, even when parents are present. It only takes a second. I bought a t-shirt from our Wild Life Care Center, and it says, Adopt, don't Shop, and it has a cute picture of a bunny. This could go for bunnies, chicks, ducks, whatever. They are not a spur of the moment buy. They need permanent care, just like any other animal. So many unwanted animals are out there, lets not promote it.

Our newspaper ran an article Sunday about why people should not buy chicks, bunnies, etc for Easter gifts. One thing they stressed is the danger of salmonella; the other thing was how much care the little ones need and you should be prepared for a long time pet if you get one.

Maybe that will discourage most of the ignorant ones - but only if they can read!

Our journey into rabbits started with an easter bunny.
said easter bunny past away last year at age 7, Well cared for pampered, spoiled etc etc,
This one small mini lop launched my grandaughter into caring for and showing rabbits.
We now have a small herd of Silver Fox, French Lops and Flemish Giants.
My oldest grandaughter cares for, cleans and shows her own rabbits and has now for 3 years.
Not all Easster Bunnys are toys she took care of hers with no qualms or aggravation.

I do the breedings and one thing I make sure of, No babies are born 8 weeks before easter, all babies are born easter day or later.
So when I get the call from pet stores or feed stores I can be honest with them when I tell them I have nothing available for easter. I also mention right up front I DO NOT breed for easter. We breed for show, meat, occasionally pets ( not often at all), and for sale to other breeders interested in a Heritage Breed of rabbit.
Make Easter about Chocolate not Animals!

What it comes down to is this----the parents!

They need to make the wise choice--- buying it for the long term and research has been done prior.

Don't buy it just because it is 'cute'.

Back
Top Bottom