Easter Egg Hunting!!!! Guineas switching nest locations?

Quote:
LOL Addict!!!!
gig.gif

Ummm yea thanks Peeps.... wait till tomorrow and I post another little keet you would want for your breeding stock.. its so cute another buff.. I am sooooo excited about next year. I want every color there is...
droolin.gif
love.gif
I get so exited when I see your new hatches...

LOL... last time I looked at Winter's site he had 20 colors
th.gif

Well it has worked three days now and they are still coming back thank you everyone for helping solve a year old issue!!!!!

Now if everyone could through me a few ideas about introducing my new babies to the flock!!!

I house my 6 week old keets in a sectioned off area or large cage in the coop with the adults for 6 weeks... they can see each other, get used to each other but not have full contact with each other. (And when the adults go out to free range the keets get let out in the covered pen so they can all still see each other then too). When it's time for the adults to come in the keets go back in their section. After the 6 weeks (and the keets are decent sized and smart enough to run when chased, lol) I allow short periods of supervised mingling (if the adults are too aggressive I step in tho) and I always make sure the keets have hiding places that they can run behind (but not get trapped behind) to get away from any of the adults that are bullying them. Sometimes, I have to confine an excessively aggressive bully or 2 for a while until the keets get schooled enough by some of the less aggressive adults and are pretty good at dodging the bullet. Eventually I work up to everyone having more and more time together, then onto free ranging together. Doesn't happen over night and it does take some effort/work, but it's worked out for me every time.

Thanks for the idea my babies are two and a half months and have been in the same large enclosure with the chickens and large guineas now for about i would say 6 weeks. Shoukd i start by introducing them to just the other two guineas that way they can work out a pecking order with themselves first?

I guess that would depend on if the 2 Guineas Hens keep to themselves most of the time or if it's all one big co-mingled flock...
Starting the integration periods with just a few of your most docile birds at first might help move things along more smoothly too. Just have to play it by ear and see how it goes.

Thats a tough one to answer. Everyone roost together at night and they all eat together morning anf evening but for the most part in the day the two guineas are on there own but always close to the chickens.

Well I am happy to say that since the last I posted on here my beautiful young guineas have intergrated wonderfully with the flock. There was some bullying but nothing that could be handdled by sticking a nasty hen in the run for the day alone could not fix. The older guineas are acting just like a guinea momma.

I came out the one day to find the three slightly smaller guineas sitting in the nest with the older ones on top. What a spectacle to behold that was it looked very uncomfortable for all parties but they all seemed content. Since the elders have taken to playing mother very well it is so darling in fact. The way the young ones follow them everywhere I think it makes the older ones happy being part of a larger group again!!!!

All smiles here!!! So happy it all worked out!!!!

Quote:
Excellent! Congrats!
thumbsup.gif

I bet the 2 Guinea Hens are lovin' their new lil flock to watch over and the youngins are lovin' the new bodyguards
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom