Easter Egger Advice!

We adopted and EE who looked about 1 year old. When she started laying she laid green/blue eggs and laid an egg nearly every day. Your profile doesn't sat where you live but here in Pennsylvania our hens are just beginning to lay again after a December where we got none.
We will give them a little more time. We are in NC and it’s really been a mild winter where we are.

We will give them a little more time. We are in NC and it’s really been a mild winter where we are.
Mild winters help with egg production some. It's the length of daylight that matters most. On Dec 21st here in PA we only get 9 hours of sun compared to 15 hours of sun on June 21st. Chickens need over 12 hours for good egg production. I generally let them rest in December but start turning on my Christmas tree LED lights in the coop in Jan. to increase the light they get. That helps some. I love our Easter egger. She has a wonderful temperament and even days where nobody else lays, I can count on a blue/green egg.

I have two Wyandottes that are almost a year old and have not layed yet...although I do think one may have layed their first egg yesterday as there was a small egg on their poop board. Hopefully that is a good sign for them laying.

If they are a year old, and have never layed, I would not expect them to lay. And if they did eventually lay - I would expect it to be only occasionally.

It is funny that you got two that way. If they were 6 months old - I would wait a bit longer with the dark days of winter slowing things down, but a year old - I would not anticipate them changing.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom