Easter Egger Advice!

PrincessLayer16

Songster
Jun 10, 2022
Hey all!
We have 2 sweet Easter egger hens, and they are both almost a year old and neither have laid. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Will they ever lay or is it too late at this point? We are stumped. All of our other girls are laying, even the silkie and polish we purchased at the same time.
Otherwise they are super healthy. They have free range access weekly and are given all the extras they could possibly need or want. Our girls are very spoiled.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0515.jpeg
    IMG_0515.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0517.jpeg
    IMG_0517.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0519.jpeg
    IMG_0519.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Hey all!
We have 2 sweet Easter egger hens, and they are both almost a year old and neither have laid. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Will they ever lay or is it too late at this point? We are stumped. All of our other girls are laying, even the silkie and polish we purchased at the same time.
Otherwise they are super healthy. They have free range access weekly and are given all the extras they could possibly need or want. Our girls are very spoiled.

Thanks in advance!
You say they free range. Is there a chance they have a laying nest you are not aware of?

How do you know for sure they have not laid?
Until recently they were in a separate coop with the silkie and polish, we have seen both of those hens lays. So we know for sure they lay small, white eggs. During these months there were never any other eggs. Now, they are with our two barred rocks and welsummer and I know which eggs are theirs.

Until recently they were in a separate coop with the silkie and polish, we have seen both of those hens lays. So we know for sure they lay small, white eggs. During these months there were never any other eggs. Now, they are with our two barred rocks and welsummer and I know which eggs are theirs.
Ok. Just checking, because you never know for sure what color an EE is going to lay until it does.

It is not really uncommon for one to not lay for a year or so. Of the dozen or so EE's I have had, they all laid within 22 weeks, but still every bird is different. They probably will soon. They look to be at POL from the pictures.

Do they squat by chance? And, do they seem to interested/curious in the nesting boxes?

I had a ee who didnt lay at all. She was 2 and still not a single egg. I rehomed her to a friend who wanted a few grown chickens. And now at 4 she still hasnt laid.

I hope this isn't the case for your girls.

Ok. Just checking, because you never know for sure what color an EE is going to lay until it does.

It is not really uncommon for one to not lay for a year or so. Of the dozen or so EE's I have had, they all laid within 22 weeks, but still every bird is different. They probably will soon. They look to be at POL from the pictures.

Do they squat by chance? And, do they seem to interested/curious in the nesting boxes?
Right, I knew it’d be a guessing game as far as the color they lay.

They do squat occasionally, as far as I can tell however they have no interest in the nesting boxes, of course I’m not out there all the time.

I had a ee who didnt lay at all. She was 2 and still not a single egg. I rehomed her to a friend who wanted a few grown chickens. And now at 4 she still hasnt laid.

I hope this isn't the case for your girls.
We have someone who offered to give them a home if they didn’t lay, we were just trying to wait it out a little longer. They are beautiful girls, but we already have a couple “just pets” and would prefer they lay lol.

I hope that doesn’t happen either!

We adopted and EE who looked about 1 year old. When she started laying she laid green/blue eggs and laid an egg nearly every day. Your profile doesn't sat where you live but here in Pennsylvania our hens are just beginning to lay again after a December where we got none.

Back
Top Bottom