Calling all olive eggers!

Ajp23

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Oct 3, 2023
My family is in discussion to add another group of girls to our flock. We’d really like to add hens that could potentially add another egg color to our basket (we have tons of brown, tan and blue). Among the finalists is the olive egger but I have read so many stories of them producing brown eggs.

I know nothing is certain but from those of you who have owned olive eggers, how many actually laid an olive green egg?

If not green, we’d like a white layer - any recommendations for a hot weather hen, friendly enough to interact with responsible kids? Thank you!

Last edited:
Look at ‘Silverudds Blue’ aka Isbar. They lay a gorgeous large green egg and sometimes with speckles which is a bonus! Smart compact friendly girls. The males can be obnoxious.
Here’s a pic of my black Silverudds blue, Gale. The pic with 3 eggs- hers is the speckled green next to Marans and EE eggs.

Attachments

• IMG_4535.jpeg
    IMG_4535.jpeg
    677.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4547.jpeg
    IMG_4547.jpeg
    295.8 KB · Views: 3
Look at ‘Silverudds Blue’ aka Isbar. They lay a gorgeous large green egg and sometimes with speckles which is a bonus! Smart compact friendly girls. The males can be obnoxious.
Here’s a pic of my black Silverudds blue, Gale. The pic with 3 eggs- hers is the speckled green next to Marans and EE eggs.
Wow! Beautiful hens and eggs!

If you get Olive Eggers from a reputable Hatchery they really should lay Green. I think it's likely the local breeder trying out different mixes that may = brown egg (fail.) I always have a minimum of one Olive Egger in my flock. They've all layed consistently nice olive eggs, mine come from Privett.
IMG_9046.JPG

IMG_9058.JPG

Back
Top Bottom