Question for Easter Egger Owners

What is the average number of eggs per week that you get from your Easter Egger hens?

Before buying (these are my first ever chickens) I read and read the hatchery's websites, and I figured that doing well would be 5 eggs a week from my girls, and that would be after they had been laying a few months. My girls are just over 7 months old and the two of the three that have been laying for just over a month now are spitting out eggs like crazy. One of them generally lays for 8 to 9 days straight, takes a one day break, then starts all over. The one who lays the most is on the nest now, and this will be her 13 day in row to lay. When she takes a break, it is one day, then she will lay another at least 10. The newest layer lays four days in a row, takes a break, then another four days. She is laying what I expected from all of them. So to say I am surprised at how much the other two lay is an understatement.

Is this the norm for Easter Eggers? Or is Peony (the one that is a laying machine) just an over-achiever?
I have two 8-month-old Easter Eggers and they average two eggs a day. One started laying last November and the other one in December. I live in Southeast Arizona. I noticed that when the temps dropped to the 20s at night they didn't lay, but they did during the warmer temps in the daytime. Heather lays medium eggs, which are getting larger, and Pearl lays large eggs. I have days with one egg, days with no eggs, and days with two eggs. I think that your hens are laying what is normal for them.

What is the average number of eggs per week that you get from your Easter Egger hens?

Before buying (these are my first ever chickens) I read and read the hatchery's websites, and I figured that doing well would be 5 eggs a week from my girls, and that would be after they had been laying a few months. My girls are just over 7 months old and the two of the three that have been laying for just over a month now are spitting out eggs like crazy. One of them generally lays for 8 to 9 days straight, takes a one day break, then starts all over. The one who lays the most is on the nest now, and this will be her 13 day in row to lay. When she takes a break, it is one day, then she will lay another at least 10. The newest layer lays four days in a row, takes a break, then another four days. She is laying what I expected from all of them. So to say I am surprised at how much the other two lay is an understatement.

Is this the norm for Easter Eggers? Or is Peony (the one that is a laying machine) just an over-achiever?
I know someone with a few rhode island reds like that.

Now, I DO have another question regarding introduction and the flocks re-shuffling of the pecking order.

We started with 4 hens. One got killed by a racoon this winter. Her friend, Rosie the Barnevelder has been marginalized since then. Belle (who died) was the chick we got with her and she was kind of a go-between Rosie and the #1 & #2.

So. We'll be introducing 4 chicks to the the 3 original chicks through "look but don't touch" I'm toying with bringing Rose in when the chicks are still little. She went broody several times last summer, so I wanted to see if she'd like to have a relationship of sorts with them (After quarantine time- a couple wks or so).

MY fear is that the no one will accept her and she'll still be the bottom of the pecking order.

Any suggestions on
1. Introducing her to the chicks
2. Just letting the girls sort things out amongst themselves

They vary among individuals. I have a couple that lay every other day, & one that may lay an egg for like 3-4 days, & not lay again for along time before laying again.

That is quite a haul on eggs. That is also better longevity than I would have thought.
EEs, at least the ones I get which are sold as "Americanas", have superior longevity and health, in my experience. They will certainly slow down laying after their first molt, but they will still be quite reliable until about 6 years old. I have a 7 and an 8-year-old.

My Easter Egger from Atwood’s (likely supplied by Ideal Poultry) is 3 yr 5 mo old and lays 4-5 eggs a week. Usually XL (2.2-2.4 oz) but sometimes L (2.0 oz).

Attachments

• IMG_7947.jpeg
    IMG_7947.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8625.jpeg
    IMG_8625.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 4
My Easter Egger from Atwood’s (likely supplied by Ideal Poultry) is 3 yr 5 mo old and lays 4-5 eggs a week. Usually XL (2.2-2.4 oz) but sometimes L (2.0 oz).
A pretty girl. My girls are almost 8 months, and their eggs generally between 1.85 and 1.95.

You are getting what I am hoping for, so that's good to know!

Glad I could help! Also if it helps you to know, I feed her and the rest of my flock Purina Flock Raiser (it has 20% protein) with calcium and inert grit options on the side.
I am feeding Nutrena Hearty Hen, which is 18% protein, and they get a handful of dried mealworms each day. With calcium and grit on the side.

And a few handfuls of fresh garden greens each day as a treat.

Back
Top Bottom