Easter Egger club!

Hi Im getting 2 EEs that are coming October 13th!! Im super excited!!
clap.gif
Can you tell me some pros and cons?? Anyone? They seem like great birds!
Mine are opposite of the other responder lol. Mine were raised being handled gently and often but are really skittish. They run from me like I am the chicken killing monster. They lay WONDERFULLY! One lays 5-6 a week and one lays 6-7. They both are more adventurous than my other chickens with trying new things though.

Mine are opposite of the other responder lol. Mine were raised being handled gently and often but are really skittish. They run from me like I am the chicken killing monster. They lay WONDERFULLY!  One lays 5-6 a week and one lays 6-7. They both are more adventurous than my other chickens with trying new things though.
yes to that last sentence!!! Both of mine will fly out of the fence so when I'm not home I can't let them out of the coop to free range anymore. I have one that stays on top of me, the other doesn't want me near her. Totally different.

oh yeah, that's another negative. They are GREAT fliers!!!
th.gif

Mine are opposite of the other responder lol. Mine were raised being handled gently and often but are really skittish. They run from me like I am the chicken killing monster. They lay WONDERFULLY! One lays 5-6 a week and one lays 6-7. They both are more adventurous than my other chickens with trying new things though.
it is very variable, 3 of mine are really nice and one is exactly like you describe! I think EE's can eisily be both ends of the spectrum,
I think the trying new things is one of the best and worst things about them at the same time!
lol.png

glad your EE's lay good! :)

It really depends on what breeds they've been crossed with. The more "pure" EE's I've seen are fairly slender, good fliers, inquisitive, skittish, too clever for their own good, not broody, and good layers. Every single one of those things can be different depending on which EE you have though! ;) Even in my own flock, I have two EEs and one is at the top of the pecking order, the other is at the absolute bottom.

I'm curious about one of my EE'ers. She has just started developing red in her wattle area but had no comb to speak of and its still dark. She's 25 weeks old. Is she ok? Late bloomer? She's the dark hen in the back. Hard to see but I'll try to get a better picture today.

The picture is not very clear but I would say she has a cushion comb that is mulberry colored . So go by the red wattles . She is getting close to laying .

Looking for expert opinions - is my new EE a pullet or cockerel? S/he is about 10/11 weeks old. Some have said cockerel based upon the coloring and comb but I'm still holding out hope for a pullet since I can't keep a roo. No crowing yet. Thanks for the feedback.

monk and Harley at 2 days
Harley at a few weeks old
monk at a few weeks
Monk and Harley now
better pic of monk
1f60a.png

I love these girls they're 2 of the only 5 baby's I got from my beloved echo. Here's his son tubbers too

Back
Top Bottom