Easter Egger club!

At 8 to 9 weeks old, the only gender indicators are comb/wattle development and plumage coloring. Male specific feathering doesn't usually begin to develop until about 10 weeks old, and can take several more weeks to be really visible.

I agree with junebuggena - at 10 weeks you can tell for sure whether you have a male or female. I have to say though, so far I have guessed the genders of all my pea combed chicks with 90% accuracy by 3 to 4 weeks old by looking at their comb. The boys have a touch of reddish pink at the farthest point from the beak and they tend to be a bit puffier than the girls. Also, the girls usually have a whitish or light yellow triangle shaped comb.

Here's everyone currently enjoying the brooder :)
YES! The chipmunk ones are the fluffy faces I was mentioning before. More you interact with each one, better off you are. I love our girls they are just feisty till they lay;)

YES! The chipmunk ones are the fluffy faces I was mentioning before. More you interact with each one, better off you are. I love our girls they are just feisty till they lay;)
Hah, these are the babies from Meyer. So far they are DEFINITELY more flighty than the Sulmtaler chicks, but with 17 little ones in the brooder, it's hard to give everyone attention. I've been enlisting my gal pals to come over and hold them as we enjoy a glass of wine so everyone gets held LOL.
gig.gif

Hah, these are the babies from Meyer. So far they are DEFINITELY more flighty than the Sulmtaler chicks, but with 17 little ones in the brooder, it's hard to give everyone attention. I've been enlisting my gal pals to come over and hold them as we enjoy a glass of wine so everyone gets held LOL.:gig
yes I remember you asking and I responded as I only get mine from Meyer and got my first flock this April and May. Lol that's a good idea. We just picked up and held each one thru the day. Not to mention staring and watching them play. Next wk you could get a large stick or branch to simulate a perch, plus gives them something else to do. As you can tell for now all they do is sleep most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom