Easter Egger color

Basskids08

Chick Logging
5 Years
Mar 9, 2014
In the country somewhere
I'm not sure if this post goes here or not, so sorry ahead of time if it isn't, and if not please tell me where to post my question.

Anyway, are there certain colors for EE to determine if they're boys or girls? I have heard people say that if it has red on wings= boy without a doubt. Any help would be appreciated. :idunno

Here's an example of a pullet (above). Note the salmon colored breast and kind of "uniformed" or consistent coloring.

Here's a good example of a cockerel whose just getting his sickle feathers. Note the blotchy and inconsistent color pattern.
The darker colored ones can be tricky. I don't think I've had many of them, so you'll probably just have to look for the usual masculine traits (red combs before everybody else etc.).
Hope these help you!

Last edited:
EEs come in SO many different combos of colors however, males tend to be blotchier, and yes red wings is a good indicator. Females are kind of colored more smoothly, and like the red wings on males, a salmon breast is a good indicator for a female. I can try to find pictures for examples too.
smile.png

EEs come in SO many different combos of colors however, males tend to be blotchier, and yes red wings is a good indicator. Females are kind of colored more smoothly, and like the red wings on males, a salmon breast is a good indicator for a female. I can try to find pictures for examples too. :)

that would be great
Thanks

How about grayish colored ones?

Last edited:
Here's an example of a pullet (above). Note the salmon colored breast and kind of "uniformed" or consistent coloring. Here's a good example of a cockerel whose just getting his sickle feathers. Note the blotchy and inconsistent color pattern. The darker colored ones can be tricky. I don't think I've had many of them, so you'll probably just have to look for the usual masculine traits (red combs before everybody else etc.). Hope these help you!
Absolutely, thanks!

Yes, as LRH97 showed and explained very well, male EEs are often blotchy, with shinier tail/neck feathers and red patches. Pullet EEs are usually more evenly colored, with well-defined patterns and little, if any, red on the wings. A lot of female EEs, at least in my experience, have a kind of Partridge color pattern, too, while males are more randomly colored.

Last edited:
Yes, as [COLOR=333333]LRH97[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]showed and explained very well,[/COLOR][COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]male EEs are often blotchy, with shinier tail/neck feathers and red patches. Pullet EEs are usually more evenly colored, with well-defined patterns and little, if any, red on the wings. A lot of female EEs, at least in my experience, have a kind of Partridge color pattern, too, while males are more randomly colored.

I suppose I'm going to have to take some pictures when I get back from vacation and ask what everyone thinks I have. Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom