Easter Egger mystery

But the first one laid from my Easter egger was blue, and then 2 days later, a greenish hued one showed up. Was and still am fairly confused because I was under the same assumption about the egg color not changing.
Green eggs are blue shells with a brown coating, sometimes the brown coating doesn't happen, thus the blue egg.

I mentioned in my previous post that we had a Brahma mix with unknown genetics but she was too young at the time to lay but guess what!
1667771728686.jpeg

We got a green from her! She’s a naked neck Easter Egger!
1667771843854.png

I peeled back the membrane and green eggs are indeed blue on the inside. So if they ever are running a little low on pigment, the egg would be blue. Somehow I find it harder to imagine a brown layer having a white egg but I’ve heard that happens too.

I mentioned in my previous post that we had a Brahma mix with unknown genetics but she was too young at the time to lay but guess what! We got a green from her! She’s a naked neck Easter Egger! I peeled back the membrane and green eggs are indeed blue on the inside. So if they ever are running a little low on pigment, the egg would be blue. Somehow I find it harder to imagine a brown layer having a white egg but I’ve heard that happens too.
Yep, Aart got it right. The brown pigment goes on during the last half hour or so that the egg is in the shell gland. If, for whatever reason, the egg is laid early it can be blue instead of green. The same thing can cause a brown egg laying hen to lay a white egg. That doesn't happen that often but that doesn't mean it never happens.

Back
Top Bottom