easter egger pullet? or cockrel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by autumnjanene, Oct 19, 2012.

1. autumnjanene

autumnjanene Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2012
    DeSoto, MO
    So we first got 3 easter eggers and were told 1 was a male, the other two female. As they got older one developed a nice, red comb and started crowing and developed beautiful feathers but so did the females. They were showing brown feathers on the shoulder which I was told means they were male, just under developed than the other one. Well, if that was the case and we had 3 roos we were planning on getting rid of them this weekend but lo and behold... we found a blue/green egg in the coop today. So unless our silkies, Wyandotte or buff orpingtons are laying bluish/greenish eggs... it looks like they really are hens! What do you think by their appearance?

In this picture is all three of the EE's. in the far back is the one that we know is a roo. Then there's the other two in the front.

[​IMG]

And one of the other EE's that we were told that was a hen. then a roo. but now I think it's a hen:
    [​IMG]

2. foxy2320

foxy2320 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2012
    Oregon
    I think the other two are hens :) And aren't the colored eggs fun?

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    [​IMG]
    this is 2 pullets and a cockerel. who ever told you brown was an indacator of gender told you wrong sorry. if you look at your cockerel he has some deep dark red on his wings that is what indacates a cockerel not brown

this pic shows the red all over his wings: not that the red doesnt have to cover the wings like this
    [​IMG]

this one shows the red coming in all over the wings
    [​IMG]

4. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    your rooster also has the pointed saddle(back) and hackle(neck) feathers.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    one roo, two pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by