Easter Egger Pullet or Roo?

Just curious how you decided? The hackle feathers? I'm sure there's breed specific traits I'm missing; I apparently haven't done enough research yet. I got a bit overwhelmed with the variants in EEers and passed on them this season so I could learn more about them.

Their saddle feathers look like pullets to me... The hackles look like lacing that makes them look pointy. Could either of them be female? I'm not guessing on gender because I'm totally not qualified, just trying to learn more! What is it about reds browns and gold coloring you noted for genders of EEers?

Thank you!
I will reply back to you when I get on my computer! But no, they could not be females for various reasons.

Just curious how you decided? The hackle feathers? I'm sure there's breed specific traits I'm missing; I apparently haven't done enough research yet. I got a bit overwhelmed with the variants in EEers and passed on them this season so I could learn more about them.

Their saddle feathers look like pullets to me... The hackles look like lacing that makes them look pointy. Could either of them be female? I'm not guessing on gender because I'm totally not qualified, just trying to learn more! What is it about reds browns and gold coloring you noted for genders of EEers?

Thank you!
For the first chicken, his hackle feathers may appear as female-specific due to their slightly rounded tips, rather than the usual long and pointed hackles of males. If you look away from the hackles, then you will immediately notice that almost the whole body of the chicken is covered in rich, dark red feathers. Only males can have this color of feathers when no other part of their body possesses it. For example, if you search Golden Sex Links, you will find that on the wing bow of the males, there is a rich red color. Some of these feathers are dotted and do not cover the whole wing bow, while some males will have red feathers that are on the whole wing bow. If you pay attention, you will see that female Golden Sex Links are also red (with some being a much lighter brown, depending on the individual), but their hue is definitely not as rich as the color found on the male's wing bow. This is only an example, and there are plenty more breeds like this. Now, getting back to the OP's first chicken, you can also notice that there are slender, pointed saddle feathers near the base of the tail and near the rump, and if you look closely you will see sickle feather development, though it is hard to see. He also has thick legs and a reddening comb and wattles. For your information, many people with untrained eyes will be hesitant to accept that their Easter Egger is a pullet, because I have seen myself a lot of Easter Eggers-more than any other breed, hybrid or mix-who look as if they are developing sickle feathers, but they are actually pullets and therefore they are not. It can easily trick anyone, and it seems to be a common Easter Egger trait.

Onto the second chicken, who has sickle feathers already in good development that stick out very much. While it might seem that he has the female-specific kind of "red brown" plumage that is commonly found on Easter Eggers (especially the ones sold at Tractor Supply), it is not the same because you can see that this bird has the same rich, red feathers I mentioned beforehand; his wing bow is slightly darker than the rest of his body as well. If you look closely, you can see many areas where his feathers are pointed, such as his hackles and saddle feathers, which both flow outward in a characteristic male way. Alike to the first chicken, he also has thick legs, along with a reddening comb and wattles.

For the first chicken, his hackle feathers may appear as female-specific due to their slightly rounded tips, rather than the usual long and pointed hackles of males. If you look away from the hackles, then you will immediately notice that almost the whole body of the chicken is covered in rich, dark red feathers. Only males can have this color of feathers when no other part of their body possesses it. For example, if you search Golden Sex Links, you will find that on the wing bow of the males, there is a rich red color. Some of these feathers are dotted and do not cover the whole wing bow, while some males will have red feathers that are on the whole wing bow. If you pay attention, you will see that female Golden Sex Links are also red (with some being a much lighter brown, depending on the individual), but their hue is definitely not as rich as the color found on the male's wing bow. This is only an example, and there are plenty more breeds like this. Now, getting back to the OP's first chicken, you can also notice that there are slender, pointed saddle feathers near the base of the tail and near the rump, and if you look closely you will see sickle feather development, though it is hard to see. He also has thick legs and a reddening comb and wattles. For your information, many people with untrained eyes will be hesitant to accept that their Easter Egger is a pullet, because I have seen myself a lot of Easter Eggers-more than any other breed, hybrid or mix-who look as if they are developing sickle feathers, but they are actually pullets and therefore they are not. It can easily trick anyone, and it seems to be a common Easter Egger trait.

Onto the second chicken, who has sickle feathers already in good development that stick out very much. While it might seem that he has the female-specific kind of "red brown" plumage that is commonly found on Easter Eggers (especially the ones sold at Tractor Supply), it is not the same because you can see that this bird has the same rich, red feathers I mentioned beforehand; his wing bow is slightly darker than the rest of his body as well. If you look closely, you can see many areas where his feathers are pointed, such as his hackles and saddle feathers, which both flow outward in a characteristic male way. Alike to the first chicken, he also has thick legs, along with a reddening comb and wattles.
Thank you for this thoughtful, easy to follow, response. Going through the photos again and using your reply as a guide; I can see exactly what you're referring to! Very neat. Their plumage, and that of other green/blue egg laying hybrids, are very unique bird to bird. Thank you again!

Thank you for this thoughtful, easy to follow, response. Going through the photos again and using your reply as a guide; I can see exactly what you're referring to! Very neat. Their plumage, and that of other green/blue egg laying hybrids, are very unique bird to bird. Thank you again!
You're welcome! I am glad that I could help you!

Back
Top Bottom