Easter Egger Question

Debbie Holcomb

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2021
I have a small flock of 6 Easter Egger pullets, which are now just starting to lay their eggs. I raised them from day old chicks, and they all look quite different, so I certainly can tell them apart. I understand that Easter Eggers will only lay one color for its lifetime. My question is: IS it possible for that to be untrue in RARE circumstances? One of my pullets (actually, the very 1st of the 7 to first start laying) laid 4 lovely olive green eggs, about every other to every 3rd day. Then she quit laying altogether for almost 2 weeks. I was beginning to get concerned about her, but she was acting fine, and I couldn't feel any egg, so I figured it was because she was still getting squared away on the egg laying routine. Then she started laying again on a daily basis. Only now, her eggs are a tan color! I have basically been "parked" in front of the coop for the past 3 weeks, so I can document which color egg each pullet lays. This way, if I don't get the correct number of each color of eggs (once they have become regular layers) I'll know which hen to go to, to look for the problem. Any ideas from you Easter Egger experts??? I'm stumped!!!

Are you sure this was her? If you are, are you sure she was even the one laying olive in first place?
I am SURE! Like I said, I have been literally PARKED in front of their coop, for 3 weeks so I can document which pullet has laid which color egg. I write that pullet's name and date on each egg and have been saving the eggs for comparison. If I don't actually SEE that pullet lay the egg, I just write the date on the egg, with a question mark. I do have a few of those, obviously, as well. But this particular pullet, I have SEEN her, with my own eyes, go into an empty nest (which I check REGULARLY, just in case I've missed a sneaky one), and come out singing her clucking song! Like I said, I have personally seen her lay 4 beautiful olive green eggs! Take a break. Then I've personally seen her lay 6 more tan eggs!!!

If her intial eggs were olive, they should have had blue inner shells under the outer olive color. (Dark brown "paint" over an inner blue shell makes an olive color). I assume you no longer have her olive eggs? Re her current tan eggs, what color is the inside of shell? Be sure to pull off the inner shell membrane, which is Always white. If the inside of egg shell is blue, something changed re the dark brown "paint" while she took a laying break. Maybe just a temporary glitch.

If the inside shell color under the white membrane is Also white? I dont know how that could happen, but maybe someone else will.

Back
Top Bottom