Easter Egger questions

It's there "Ameraucanas" for me.
Ugh I fell for that on my first chicks, 4 EEs later and I still don't have any ameraucanas. 🙄 also my blue laced red Wyandotte that turned out to be a red sexlink and a mystery chick! Feed stores....don't buy chicks from them!!!

Ugh I fell for that on my first chicks, 4 EEs later and I still don't have any ameraucanas. 🙄 also my blue laced red Wyandotte that turned out to be a red sexlink and a mystery chick! Feed stores....don't buy chicks from them!!!
I consider any chick that I get from tsc a rescued mystery chick. I only buy them anymore, if I think their lives are endangered, usually from severe pasty butt.

So, for me as a newbie, the idea of knowing what color eggs your birds will (85% probability) lay was very appealing. For some reason, the idea of not knowing what color egg my chickens would lay created a great deal of anxiety for me, so I went with (semi) known quantities. The SGEs and PBB and olive eggers were a good fit for me for that reason.

As they grew, they looked very much like other known breeds, but I had to guess cause I'd never know for sure what exact mixes they were.

Now, I kinda wish I'd gotten traditional easter eggers with beards and muffs, or the original starting breed of birds (whiting true blue, araucana, etc). Also I wish I'd known more about dual breeds and meat birds starting out - I might have made different choices. So this will be a fun few years, and then maybe we'll do something different.

But if we hadn't personally seen those chicks at Rural King, mislabeled hatchery chicks that they were, I probably never would have gotten chickens. And I think that would have been a pity.

Back
Top Bottom