Easter Egger questions

purplepoen

Songster
11 Years
Jul 12, 2008
Michigan
I have a pullet who is about 4ish months old. I got her by accident, and she is the only EE I have. I was wondering what her comb would end up looking like since it's got 3 sections and all my other chickens are single combed. If you could maybe post pic's it would be good to see. I can't seem to find any good pics on a search engine. Also, my other pullets are laying, but not her. When will she start laying? Another question I have is what is her color pattern called?
Thanks!

Brita

Hi there,
What a pretty little girl! I'm sorry I don't have any good pics of EE combs, but I can tell you that her comb will look pretty much like it does right now, only a little bigger. It is called a pea comb and it will stay close to her head. As far as laying goes, it's just like any other breed - they lay whenever they are ready. I think mine started at about 5 months if I remember right.

Hope this helps!
wink.png

My EEs started laying slightly later than my other breeds, but they are very consisitent. One is even a good winter layer, without supplemental light. Sorrry, but I can't help with the color. I like the golden cape over the barred body.

I love EEs, but have no clue what their coloring is called. I have 2 hens that had that same sort of coloring when they were younger. Now they have both turned a lovely golden color. One has delicate light brown penciling on each feather and the other has black tips on her feathers.

My Black Australorps have recently begun to lay at 21 weeks old. My EEs haven't started yet, but the one is nesting all over and keeps squatting every time I come near her. Hopefully she'll start laying pretty soon.

Here are two EE hens:

Doodoo-Sissyb4-2008.jpg

As far as when she will lay.....she'll lay when she's ready, basically! Typical average, I believe, is 24 weeks. The one on the left in this picture began to lay at 21 weeks, the one on right, not until she was 32 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom