Easter Egger quit laying - seems healthy

It’s better to not put the light in there. The more they lay, the less time they live. Shes probably just trying to take a break.

It’s better to not put the light in there. The more they lay, the less time they live. She's probably just trying to take a break.

I've thought about that. At first I thought the light was good for them because the days became shorter and darker.

At this point though, since we've had the light on since they started laying, I don't know if it would be safe to just keep it off. Do you know? It would probably freak them out. It's on during the daylight hours when the sun is up anyway, and about an hour before sunrise and an hour after sunset -- but that keeps changing every day.

Are you saying that we shouldn't be using a light at all? Even during the day?

I've thought about that. At first I thought the light was good for them because the days became shorter and darker.

At this point though, since we've had the light on since they started laying, I don't know if it would be safe to just keep it off. Do you know? It would probably freak them out. It's on during the daylight hours when the sun is up anyway, and about an hour before sunrise and an hour after sunset -- but that keeps changing every day.

They are animals. They adapt to things way better than humans may think. In my opinion it’s not good to even mess with nature but I understand. Just wondering, why would you use a light if at daytime since there’s already light?

Lighting is not the worst thing and certainly a huge percentage of people do it. It doesn’t hurt them as much as wear them out over years. It really depends on your purpose with your chickens are they pets or livestock? If pets that are going to have a home for 8+ years of life in a chickie retirement home (like mine), then lighting may not be the plan for you. That being said I’ve never seen a peer reviewed scientific journal article on the subject, so I only have my opionion. Such a gap in the research is generally found with backyard flocks because research is almost exclusively done in factory farms.

Update: My girl Pepper started laying again! We got a beautiful blue egg Friday (1-22) and one today! She's back in the game! In fact today we got 13 beautiful eggs from all 13 beautiful girls!! :love😍😍🥰

Attachments

• 20210124_171610.jpg
    20210124_171610.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom