Easter Egger rooster or hen?

Hooray! :) Thanks so much. She's a really sweet bird, too. We have buffs, a red, a black sex link, and had Barred Rocks (they were done in by predators, but we recently got new ones. Because, chicken math. And we have a broody hen sitting on eggs now!) The others were so easy to tell! The 2 that are laying have been producing beautiful blue eggs. It's super cool- they're really neat birds. So, looks like we have 4 EE ladies like I hoped! There's about 4 weeks between the 2 pairs, so I imagine these 2 are only a few weeks away from laying, since our other 2 have been going for a couple of weeks.

I have a lot of opinions on My EE Squeak being a rooster or a hen. Squeak is 10 weeks old. Nothing he/she does is rooster like. No crowing yet. In fact Squeak was raised by two Golden Comet Hens who he/she follows around and does everything exactly like them. What confuses me is when people say "that's a cockerel ", but I really feel Squeak is a girl. There's no standing tall or trying to be alpha. So what do you guys think? I'm just waiting for the crow but is there anything about Squeak that looks like a hen?? Still has the little baby chirp too.

Last edited:
I have a lot of opinions on My EE Squeak being a rooster or a hen. Squeak is 10 weeks old. Nothing he/she does is rooster like. No crowing yet. In fact Squeak was raised by two Golden Comet Hens who he/she follows around and does everything exactly like them. What confuses me is when people say "that's a cockerel ", but I really feel Squeak is a girl. There's no standing tall or trying to be alpha. So what do you guys think? I'm just waiting for the crow but is there anything about Squeak that looks like a hen?? Still has the little baby chirp too.

At 10 weeks, Squeak is still just a baby, so that's why he's not acting like a rooster. But that red comb at this age tells the tale, plus the darker shading on the wings. He's a boy, and the mature look and attitude will come eventually.

What a handsome boy, deserves a more dignified name than Squeak.
Wellllllllllll, we call him squeak cus he's a squeaker...and he had a buddy named pip that the neighborhood dog got when they were just babies. Pip & Squeak..Squeak is eager! I caught him trying to mount one of our hens already twice!

So my little boy Squeak is indeed a boy (thanks for noticing before I did lol
Question: He's a little over 2 months old and has been mounting my 20 week old golden comets (who haven't layed yet) . I'm wondering is he fertile already or just practicing? He tried to crow the other morning and it was like a teenage boy hitting puberty
1f61b.png
My two hens pretty much raised him but now he's trying to do his thing with them and I wonder if their first eggs will be fertile. Im thinking he's a bantam too.

So my little boy Squeak is indeed a boy (thanks for noticing before I did lol
Question: He's a little over 2 months old and has been mounting my 20 week old golden comets (who haven't layed yet) . I'm wondering is he fertile already or just practicing? He tried to crow the other morning and it was like a teenage boy hitting puberty
1f61b.png
My two hens pretty much raised him but now he's trying to do his thing with them and I wonder if their first eggs will be fertile. Im thinking he's a bantam too.
He's not a bantam. At 8 weeks old, he is about the same size as an adult bantam. He still has a lot of growing to do. At this point, his behavior is dominance related, not sexual.

Ok thanks. The lady that gave him too me kept saying they were Cochins (obviously not) then she said well no they're bantam Easter eggers... Shoot, I don't know-- I just found out he was a cockerel last week. We shall see.

Back
Top Bottom