Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Thanks so much for the input! That's great to hear
big_smile.png

I have a little EE mix that will be eight weeks old tomorrow. I posted pics at about 4-5 weeks, and we all agreed (myself included) that it looks like a cockerel. I did not know what it was mixed with, but it hatched from a green egg and has a pea comb with three rows, two outside ones smaller than the others. I now think it is an EE crossed with a BLRW, based on the feathers coming in on it's back. I am, however, no longer convinced it is a roo. At eight weeks, I would think it would be a little more obvious, but this one is tricky. The comb was red early on, but if my guess on a wyandotte cross is correct, their combs tend to redden and mature early. I'm thinking the feather pattern looks female at this point, the chick is large, but my other wyandottes were huge as chicks too. I have a BLRW pullet that everyone was sure was a roo until about 15 weeks of age, so as long as there is no crowing I will hold out and see, I may have a little olive egger pullet! I took a few pics this morning, a little blurry b/c the bugger wouldn't hold still. What do you guys think? Still a roo, or undecided now?

This one is a hard one. It has the body of a hen but the rooster's comb. Usually, most cockerels by 8 weeks would have some dark patches on their wings already. This one seems to have even pattern without dark patches. So, I am going to vote hen. Please update once you know for sure. I am curious if it is a rare pullet with 3 row comb.

Haven't posted mine because I a not sure of the age of these two EE's. only have one good picture but I'll get another one tomorrow for you to scope out. They are probably around16 weeks and neither have started anything that sounded like crowing..
barnie.gif

on left is RSL, on right is the "pullet"...which I seriously think is a EE cockrel !!
idunno.gif

This one is not a good picture but has the partridge "scattered" coloring..Lot of red. His comb isn't as big a the first one but I still think he is a cockrel also. What do you all think. Going to go ahead and rehome them if you all are thinking along the same line..
rant.gif

Haven't posted mine because I a not sure of the age of these two EE's. only have one good picture but I'll get another one tomorrow for you to scope out. They are probably around16 weeks and neither have started anything that sounded like crowing..
barnie.gif

on left is RSL, on right is the "pullet"...which I seriously think is a EE cockrel !!
idunno.gif

This one is not a good picture but has the partridge "scattered" coloring..Lot of red. His comb isn't as big a the first one but I still think he is a cockrel also. What do you all think. Going to go ahead and rehome them if you all are thinking along the same line..
rant.gif
I'll wait to see your new pics, but they both look like cockerels for now. The top one looks like it has pointed hackles to go with that big red comb. Bottom one has the big comb and that tail! Oh my.

OK. So here are my tough ones-- Again. They are now 9 weeks & I still see some signs of both genders.

Chick 1:
Dad= Brown & Black EE Hen: golden color EE with double black lacing
I'm leaning toward female, but not sure.

Chick 2:
Dad= Brown & Black EE Mom: Large White hen with big single comb, slight golden color on head, daily layer
My predictions change daily on this one. Light plays a factor. It's skittish & tough to photograph.

For Fun:
While taking the pics, the curious dog sniffed the chicken. I watched as the confused chicken jumped onto the curious dog's back. Dog didn't like it & started to walk away. Chicken got a doggie-back ride across the room.

Here's my Coronation Sussex also at 9 wks. I believe he's a male, b/c of red comb.

Here are pictures of both of my EE's....Need to know about gender because I don't want to have little ones and I don't want to worry about my ladies getting terrorized... I have one older EE who is ready to lay and has already been the target of the partridge colored one.. I will rehome both asap.

Only pict with both. The one on left is pretty skiddish but more aggressive towards my older EE

OK. So here are my tough ones-- Again. They are now 9 weeks & I still see some signs of both genders.

Chick 1:
Dad= Brown & Black EE Hen: golden color EE with double black lacing
I'm leaning toward female, but not sure.

Chick 2:
Dad= Brown & Black EE Mom: Large White hen with big single comb, slight golden color on head, daily layer
My predictions change daily on this one. Light plays a factor. It's skittish & tough to photograph.

For Fun:
While taking the pics, the curious dog sniffed the chicken. I watched as the confused chicken jumped onto the curious dog's back. Dog didn't like it & started to walk away. Chicken got a doggie-back ride across the room.

Here's my Coronation Sussex also at 9 wks. I believe he's a male, b/c of red comb.
Top two look like pullets to me- one bearded and one un-bearded. Both look like pea combs, so good potential for blue egg gene. Your CS does appear to be male. All beautiful birds!

Here are pictures of both of my EE's....Need to know about gender because I don't want to have little ones and I don't want to worry about my ladies getting terrorized... I have one older EE who is ready to lay and has already been the target of the partridge colored one.. I will rehome both asap.

Only pict with both. The one on left is pretty skiddish but more aggressive towards my older EE
They both look like cockerels. I'm about 90% sure on the brown/speckled and about 99% sure on the black and white. Sorry. I know how hard it is when they're boys
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom