Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

These aren't the best pics, but we're wondering if this "female" is maybe a male? She's about 10 weeks old, I think. Can anyone help determine the sex with these photos? Thanks so much!
I'm going to have to say pullet! Here is a picture to compare with my 10 week old EE cockerels
Here are my 10 week old EE pullets

Can anyone help me with Mister E? I was certain this was a rooster, but at 16 weeks, no crowing, and he still looks just like his pullet hatchmates (the birds he is with here are all pullets, from the Easter hatch) He is the solid lavender/ gray. Is Mister E really a Miss E?

Can anyone help me with Mister E? I was certain this was a rooster, but at 16 weeks, no crowing, and he still looks just like his pullet hatchmates (the birds he is with here are all pullets, from the Easter hatch) He is the solid lavender/ gray. Is Mister E really a Miss E?
That's a pullet. My 5 week old cockerels have more comb/bright plumage than her. And the coloring says pullet too! Roos are flashier color wise. I've never seen one so plain. I'd be looking for an egg for

She looks like my lavender ameraucana pullets. One of them kept me guessing for a long time. From the beginning we thought that one was a roo, so we named it Mr. Green Jeans. (It got the green leg band.) Well, Mr. Green Jeans is laying now, and we decided to let her keep her name, so it can be a bit confusing to hear us talk. :p

This is her at 16 weeks:

And now (8 1/2 months):

She looks like my lavender ameraucana pullets. One of them kept me guessing for a long time. From the beginning we thought that one was a roo, so we named it Mr. Green Jeans. (It got the green leg band.) Well, Mr. Green Jeans is laying now, and we decided to let her keep her name, so it can be a bit confusing to hear us talk. :p This is her at 16 weeks: And now (8 1/2 months):
Wow, that tail is exactly why I thought cockerel on this one, it looks just the same, a rogue curl to the top feather. Strangely, this ones legs are the same color as its body, a gray/ blue color. Thanks for your help!

Yeah, I think it's those tail feathers that trip me up. I had an olive egger and an EE that did the same thing, growing a long curved tail feather right around this stage, and both times it scared me into thinking roo. The first few saddle feathers at the base of the tail also tend to molt in long and scraggly until the rest of the feathers in that area catch up and fill in. But since I knew the lav am had gone through it, I tried to look for other signs instead. Thankfully all the other signs pointed to pullet. And once the molt is over, it looks like a smooth pullet again.

that is a pullet, it is Miss. E after all.

Back
Top Bottom