Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Hi. The upper photo is of my two Easter Eggers/Ameraucanas, the lower one of the girl (?) in question. I thought they were both pullets. The older of the two (by about 2 weeks) has really grown a comb and wattles! Can pullets have combs & wattles? S/he is not aggressive, doesn't crow, or do anything that I think roos do. What do you think????
They look just like my brown leghorn. Are you sure they are EE? Both have yellow legs and leghorns have those big floppy combs and big wattles! Are they real skittish/flighty?

x2, they show no traits of being an Easter Egger at all. No green legs, no peacomb, no beard.

Here is an EE hen we have that is similar color to the two chickens you posted. Notice the beard, and peacomb, she has grey/green legs not shown in that picture.

They look just like my brown leghorn.  Are you sure they are EE?  Both have yellow legs and leghorns have those big floppy combs and big wattles!  Are they real skittish/flighty?

Hi. Yeah, I'm starting to understand they are brown leghorns, since they look JUST LIKE THEM! They were sold to me as Ameraucanas, which I specifically went to buy to get the beautiful eggs. Oh well. They are VERY flighty! One's name is Houdini; if there's a crack in the fence she finds it, a tree to jump on and she's there. They are the only ones of my flock I can't get near.

x2, they show no traits of being an Easter Egger at all. No green legs, no peacomb, no beard.

Here is an EE hen we have that is similar color to the two chickens you posted. Notice the beard, and peacomb, she has grey/green legs not shown in that picture.

Live and learn, huh?? Guess we have 2 brown leghorns.

This thread is a little busier so I'm cross posting for help!

Sorry for the bad iphone photos - this is one of the ones we're having trouble deciding on!

\Rounder back and flat tail, no saddle feathers yet, the comb isn't as red as it looks on here... 12 weeks old

#2 - I think this is a definite roo!! This one that is almost identical, But has a larger comb, no saddle feathers, tail straight up -

Hi. Yeah, I'm starting to understand they are brown leghorns, since they look JUST LIKE THEM! They were sold to me as Ameraucanas, which I specifically went to buy to get the beautiful eggs. Oh well. They are VERY flighty! One's name is Houdini; if there's a crack in the fence she finds it, a tree to jump on and she's there. They are the only ones of my flock I can't get near.
I got my leghorn by mistake too. Was suppose to get a speckled sussex. There were both kinds of chicks in the box. (We didn't know to look for the pink legs for the Sussex.) We had originally named her Freckles because she was going to have all those speckles, but when we found out she was a brown leghorn and would just lay plain white eggs, we renamed her Plain Jane. The guy said we could bring her back and exchange her, but we thought we should have at least one white egg laying hen!

This thread is a little busier so I'm cross posting for help!

Sorry for the bad iphone photos -  this is one of the ones we're having trouble deciding on!

\Rounder back and flat tail, no saddle feathers yet, the comb isn't as red as it looks on here... 12 weeks old

#2  - I think this is a definite roo!!  This one that is almost identical, But has a larger comb, no saddle feathers, tail straight up -

Both look like roos sorry.

I guess they are now ours. They've grown here for 3 months free ranging all day so I can't seem to stand the idea of them going back in a cage. Their combs are distinctly different, I'm just going to wait and see how the little one turns out. Her comb seems more like a pea comb, slightly different body shape; but maybe it's due to lack of maturity. I will wait and see.... patience is a virtue my hens are teaching me.
smile.png

Our girls- I have some brown leghorns. They will lay well for you. Nice white eggs medium-large size. When you say one has a pea comb... Could it be a rose comb? The hatchery I bought my leghorns from offered single and rose comb varieties. I bought rose combs because of the cold.

Rosecomb leghorn photo-

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom