Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

I posted pics of these birds a few weeks ago because of the size difference. They will be five weeks tomorrow.
#1 named Moose from earlier replies. Weight 14.1 oz

#2 named Hoot weight 10.8 oz. She is getting very buff on her head where Moose is very red on hed and neck.

Am I having a better year with gender?.. Any help would be much apreciated!

Cortner1195, they look girly to me. I can't see the wing on Moose but assuming there aren't red patches there but more of the same type of patterning that Hoot is sporting, you've got pullets. Moose's comb has no color at all yet so I'm guessing there aren't any surprises under your hands.

Chickymommy, yours are 100% pullets!

Last edited:
My EE babies... 6.5 weeks old. I think all pullets, but would appreciate some validation.

All are girls :)
Anywhere from 16 - 20 weeks. Start them on layer ration at 18 weeks or whenever you get your first egg, whichever is soonest.
Or never at all. I never feed layer. Especially dangerous if you have roosters or chickens that are not laying, as their kidneys have to work hard to filter out the excess calcium, and can cause kidney damage over time.

I do free feed oyster shell, but everyone stays on either starter (unmedicated) or grower. Breeding season (Feb-May) they get a breeders ration.

Hi all! I'm new to this whole chicken thing, but I'm loving it! I am in the city and have three 6 weeks old chickens. One is an Easter egger...and I'm afraid she might be a he! :-/ I wouldn't be able to get a refund from the hatchery for another few weeks, and most sites I read say you really can't tell until they crow, but I am dying to know. Anyone willing to weigh in with an opinion? Let me know if a better pic would be helpful...I interrupted their group dust bath to get this one :)

Back
Top Bottom