Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Can't help with what to call the comb, but was wondering if she has started laying yet. If not, that comb may grow some more. I like how it makes her uniquely less chickeney looking.

I appreciate your imput though, so thank you for that, I havent given up yet.

No crowing yet... no eggs either
wink.png
I have had no saddle feathers, and I do check closely daily, all the feathers at the base of the tail are rounded, an bouncy like my other hens tails.
Sharkie's tail is not growing any curlier. So...IDK still, I am leaning toward hen, but maybe this will be one of those that you have to wait till it either crows or lays an egg...
I will continue updating in another month or so thanks for the imput:)

Will Sharkie let you handle her? If so, pick her up and if you need to get a helper. With your fingers, spread the feathers on her back, from between her shoulders all the way to her mid back. You want to see the skin. At this age, most roos should have saddle feathers at least started, but they might not be visible as they develop under the other feathers. They will look like two rows of pinfeathers, starting way up between the wings (higher than you think they should be!) and that continue down closer to the saddle area where we see saddle feathers show up. The saddle feathers emerging from the tips of the pinfeathers are hard to describe, but in a roo they are very pointy and not 'webby' like a normal rounded feather. I have seen them described as a pointed artist's paintbrush. If they have emerged very far they might also have iridescence.

Here is a photo I took of my easter egger roo, sold to me as a sexed pullet, earlier in this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...nd-tricks-pictures-included/1360#post_9371657

Notice how these feathers are totally hidden under his body feathers!! Also notice how very pointy they are. A hen's saddles will be more rounded at the tips, and a hen might not have any pinfeathers left coming in at this age. She may have already grown them all out.

Can this be a tell tale sign for other chickens as well as EE's? If so, this would seem to make it easy to tell very early on, and save a lot of guessing and anxiety.

Can this be a tell tale sign for other chickens as well as EE's? If so, this would seem to make it easy to tell very early on, and save a lot of guessing and anxiety.
If you're asking about the saddle feathers, yes, it applies to all breeds (except Sebrights, which are hen feathered). But, it's not good until they start growing saddle feathers, usually the earliest is 12 weeks. So, it's not "early on", usually by 12 weeks you can tell gender otherwise.

I think sometimes  the genetics mixes the comb features and the  pea and rose comb sort of combine to form a hybrid of its own... It looks sort of like a very flat pea comb. I am not an expert but, I would say since it is a mix you could come up with a new name for it ....a Rosepea comb or Pearose comb!!  :clap

Pearose , I like it! :lol:

Can't help with what to call the comb, but was wondering if she has started laying yet.  If not, that comb may grow some more.  I like how it makes her uniquely less chickeney looking. 

No she's not laying yet, she should start mid January. I like it very much too, its going to be interesting to see what she'll end up like.

Will Sharkie let you handle her? If so, pick her up and if you need to get a helper. With your fingers, spread the feathers on her back, from between her shoulders all the way to her mid back. You want to see the skin. At this age, most roos should have saddle feathers at least started, but they might not be visible as they develop under the other feathers. They will look like two rows of pinfeathers, starting way up between the wings (higher than you think they should be!) and that continue down closer to the saddle area where we see saddle feathers show up. The saddle feathers emerging from the tips of the pinfeathers are hard to describe, but in a roo they are very pointy and not 'webby' like a normal rounded feather. I have seen them described as a pointed artist's paintbrush. If they have emerged very far they might also have iridescence.

Here is a photo I took of my easter egger roo, sold to me as a sexed pullet, earlier in this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...nd-tricks-pictures-included/1360#post_9371657

Notice how these feathers are totally hidden under his body feathers!! Also notice how very pointy they are. A hen's saddles will be more rounded at the tips, and a hen might not have any pinfeathers left coming in at this age. She may have already grown them all out.
Okay, I checked out the link and I went in the back yard put Sharkie on my lap parted her feathers at the base for her neck ( between her wings) and worked my way down to the base of her tail, and I took these pictures.
I didnt see pin type feathers I did see rounded Webby type, but let me know what you all think....

Can this be a tell tale sign for other chickens as well as EE's?  If so, this would seem to make it easy to tell very early on, and save a lot of guessing and anxiety.

Yes, except for "hen-feathered" breeds which will have rounded feathers even in roosters. That said, different breeds and even individuals within a breed will feather out at different rates, so an absence of these feathers early on does not necessarily mean you have a hen. This method can help with older chicks, especially when combined with other clues. :)

Sharkie looks hen feathered to me. I think she is old enough to have saddles started so I think she is a pullet! She may yet surprise us -- this isnt 100%-- but those pinfeathers make me vote pullet.

I sure hope Sharkie turns out to be a hen. Love the pics you got! Especially the last one. Seems to have a great personality!

Back
Top Bottom