Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Hey my chickens are 16 weeks please let me know what you think. I think all are hens except the extremely dark one
[/IMG]

Try getting pictures of each one individually.

I still feel like quite the newbie, but I just have to share with people who will understand my excitement:
At 24 weeks, my chickens started laying EGGS!
Three in one week, and what a week it's been...

With our Chicago wind chills at -40'F during a severe artic blast, I was so worried about them. Of course, that's also when the 1st egg came. The chickens are all OK.

Here's a pic of the 1st edible egg next to some white store bought eggs. (The other 2 were cracked.)
It is larger than I thought a pullet egg would be.

I think they may be fertile. Am I right?

Here's a pic of my chickens all grown up. (I posted their baby pics earlier in this thread.)
The coop (not pictured) is insulated. The run has some old roofing pieces around the bottom to keep out snow & clear shower curtains to block the wind.

I still feel like quite the newbie, but I just have to share with people who will understand my excitement: At 24 weeks, my chickens started laying EGGS! Three in one week, and what a week it's been... With our Chicago wind chills at -40'F during a severe artic blast, I was so worried about them. Of course, that's also when the 1st egg came. The chickens are all OK. Here's a pic of the 1st edible egg next to some white store bought eggs. (The other 2 were cracked.) It is larger than I thought a pullet egg would be. I think they may be fertile. Am I right? Here's a pic of my chickens all grown up. (I posted their baby pics earlier in this thread.) The coop (not pictured) is insulated. The run has some old roofing pieces around the bottom to keep out snow & clear shower curtains to block the wind.
Congrats on your first egg! And what a great run design!! I'll have to incorporate those ideas to my coops/runs that I'm building this spring. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
so we went to the poultry congress this morning and came home with a black/golden hamburg. wondering what color eggs I will get with her offspring since we have a EE roo. the Hamburgs lay white eggs. Thanks for your input!

Hi all!

Im getting pretty good at this chicken sexing and features thing...except my own EEs lol. Mostly, I see things about adults and small babies.
I have two. Both the black & white.

When are pullets supposed to have the noticeable three rows?
One of them, her comb has gotten a bit larger and literally overnight turned bright red, so I'm eager to say the least! Only our Leghorn girls lay...one(the only Brown Leghorn) that has the same hatch date has been laying for three weeks and she started a month later in age than the white ones. The one who is developing quickly out of nowhere has very even patterning and salmon in her breast, and all nice round feathers. This EE is my 4yo daughter's pet and she is hoping for pink eggs, but she has all of the characteristics of a blue egg layer, so I am hoping for blue or green! Our only brown egg breed turned into a roo, so we may end up with every color but brown, haha! One of our Leghorns lays an egg with a pink tint inside and my daughter thinks is is SO pretty. Anyway, we know she is close! She squats every once in a while, our cockerel tries to mate her sometimes, and she has been really checking out the nest boxes a lot lately!! She is pretty skittish compared to the other one and doesnt respond to her name after being a sweetheart cuddler as a chick, so I hope at least a little of that comes back soon, too!

we have eggs in the incubator! one started to pip. we have a EE roo and 2 black copper maran hens, 1 splash maran, and one rir/cuckoo maran. what kind of chicks should we expect and what color eggs will any hens lay? will these chicks be considered easter eggers? thanks!

Back
Top Bottom