Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Thank you! yes there are wattles developing. I was really hoping for hen since it's the only one hatched. I wanted to see what color eggs we would get. How would it work with me having two roosters? They are not free ranged. In my town they can only free range if you have a certain amount of land. I am not even suppose to have a rooster but all my neighbors are awesome and they love hearing our Custard crow. He doesn't crow incessantly either. I guess I will just have to wait and see what comes of this little guy. I had a feeling he was a roo boy a couple weeks ago because of his posture and length of his legs! He also seems to have 3 rows of combs. Does that matter when it comes to OE's like it does EE's?

Yes, 3 distinct rows on a pea comb at an early age is usually a cockerel (in Ameraucana based birds). My EE pullet chick was huge, with big thick legs and an upright stance. She was larger than the cockerel and they both had similar behaviors. Her feather color and comb size/color ended up being the best indicators (for sure at 5 weeks). After that the cockerel got larger and he was obvious. Male comb, around 7 wks.

The pullet is just behind him.

As far as keeping more than one rooster, I think depends a lot on individual temperaments and the amount of space you have them in. My experience with roosters was with a barnyard flock. The hens came out of the blackberry bushes with chicks, raised them in the flock, and the cockerels new their place. Often, the hormones would get the better of them and they would challenge the top rooster. Fighting and bloody birds resulted. Persistent challengers went to the neighbor's for dinner, but 1-2 nonfighters would be allowed to stay. Good to have a spare just in case, and they helped guard the flock. The subordinate roosters did very little crowing.

Some other things to consider, it might be tricky to introduce a single youngster into an existing flock. Even the hens might pick on him/her. Also, if you don't have enough hens, you run the risk of them being over bred by 2 roosters. (The hens get bald backs and heads, sometimes even sores.)

You are very lucky to have rooster loving neighbors!!

Here are my birds now 7 weeks old
Chick 1 pullet?

Chick 2

Chick 3

Chick 4

Chick.5 roo?

Chick.6

Chick 7

Chick 8

Here are my birds now 7 weeks old
Chick 1 pullet?
I am guessing #1 is roo due to the blotchy dark color on the wing.
Chick 2
I think #2 is pullet, but need side or body picture to see the color pattern to be sure.
Chick 3
I am guessing #3 is pullet also.
Chick 4
No guess on #4. Need side/body picture to see color pattern.
Chick.5 roo?
I think you're right that #5 is a roo.
Chick.6
#6 is tough since s/he is all black. The comb is light but WIDE which may mean roo. Need better picture of comb in a few weeks and pic of whole body to see posture.
Chick 7
I am guessing #7 is a roo due to the blotchy color on the body.
Chick 8
The last one is most likely a roo.

Okay thank you. By the combs I was guessing 1 3 and 6 were pullets and the rest roos because their combs are barely pink compared to the other chicks. Ill take better pictures tomorrow. Its hard to lol. When will saddle feathers start coming in so I can know for sure?

Those are such pretty birds!
When did their muffs come in, if you don't mind me asking?
Mine lost theirs with their chick fuzz, and haven't grown them back yet at 5 weeks.

All of my EEs except one kept their muffs as they molted out of their down. The one who molted out of his muffs and beard never got them back with his adult plumage.

Back
Top Bottom