Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

One of my hatchery-sexed 12 week old EE pullets is growing pointy saddle feathers. She is also a lot bigger than my other EE pullet, the same age. I feel like her tail is pullety, but the pointy saddle feathers are throwing me!

Blanch3_zps84367f6b.jpg

blanchresized2_zpsae440e45.jpg

blanchresized1_zps9ba1c236.jpg

Here she is with the other 12 week old EE pullet -

GladysandBlanch_zps22036b50.jpg

Apologies for the big pictures - I can't seem to get BYC pictures to work today (or yesterday).

That is a cockerel. I hate when my favorites turn out to be cockerels.

Thanks! I have suspected she was a he from about 2 weeks, but when I posted here before (she was just a few weeks old), people thought pullet was still possible/likely, so that was enough to convince me. The thought had been creeping up in the back of my mind again, and when I saw those saddle feathers last night, I thought I better ask again.

Welp, looks like I'll have a rooster named Blanch!
lau.gif
So funny! Too bad the hatchery only guarantees sexing with 90% accuracy.

Is all that tail fluff a giveaway, too? Out of 25 chickens over 2 months old, I onky have one other bird with that, and he is my only other for sure cockerel (though, I have one more suspect, he is a naked neck). I am a roo newb.

Is all that tail fluff a giveaway, too? Out of 25 chickens over 2 months old, I onky have one other bird with that, and he is my only other for sure cockerel (though, I have one more suspect, he is a naked neck). I am a roo newb.

Notice how the saddle feathers are a bright orange/red like color? Also the tail feathers droop and the patchy red on the wings? Those are dead giveaways for it being a cockerel.

Our ugly mutt chicken just laid her 1st egg. It too is ugly! LOL I'm so excited I just had to share.

This pullet hatched from an egg that was stored in the fridge waiting to be cooked for breakfast. While loading up the incubator, my daughter asked to add this particular egg from her fav hen. Surprisingly it hatched after being in the fridge for over 3 days. We named the chick Omelet, & it soon became a favorite. Omelet's dad is an EE that hatched from a pink egg & her mom is a barnyard mix who lays simple brown eggs. Omelet looks nothing like either parent. At times she barely looked like a chicken. (Had no tail for a very long time, odd comb, & no cheeks.) Now she's making olive green eggs. Where did that color come from??? I expected pinkish or brown. The mom must have quite an unusual mix. I included a pic of the green egg next to our pink, brown & blue eggs.

Our ugly mutt chicken just laid her 1st egg. It too is ugly! LOL I'm so excited I just had to share.

This pullet hatched from an egg that was stored in the fridge waiting to be cooked for breakfast. While loading up the incubator, my daughter asked to add this particular egg from her fav hen. Surprisingly it hatched after being in the fridge for over 3 days. We named the chick Omelet, & it soon became a favorite. Omelet's dad is an EE that hatched from a pink egg & her mom is a barnyard mix who lays simple brown eggs. Omelet looks nothing like either parent. At times she barely looked like a chicken. (Had no tail for a very long time, odd comb, & no cheeks.) Now she's making olive green eggs. Where did that color come from??? I expected pinkish or brown. The mom must have quite an unusual mix. I included a pic of the green egg next to our pink, brown & blue eggs.

Wow. That green egg is so beautiful.
droolin.gif
love.gif

She must have gotten the blue egg gene from her grandfather then. Her color pattern is Black Copper with something diluting the red to gold. Look on the Quetcha thread and you will see several of this color.

Our ugly mutt chicken just laid her 1st egg. It too is ugly! LOL I'm so excited I just had to share. This pullet hatched from an egg that was stored in the fridge waiting to be cooked for breakfast. While loading up the incubator, my daughter asked to add this particular egg from her fav hen. Surprisingly it hatched after being in the fridge for over 3 days. We named the chick Omelet, & it soon became a favorite. Omelet's dad is an EE that hatched from a pink egg & her mom is a barnyard mix who lays simple brown eggs. Omelet looks nothing like either parent. At times she barely looked like a chicken. (Had no tail for a very long time, odd comb, & no cheeks.) Now she's making olive green eggs. Where did that color come from??? I expected pinkish or brown. The mom must have quite an unusual mix. I included a pic of the green egg next to our pink, brown & blue eggs.
Congrats! That is a fabulous egg color! She is a cool looking pullet, too. The mixed ones are so hard to tell when they are at point of lay, she looks like she has a wee bit of wattles, and something akin to a pea comb. I'm amazed that she hatched from a chilled egg... Your daughter made a great choice, those are the olive greenest color eggs I have ever seen.

We had a pullet very close to that coloring. Black Australorp Momma and a Black Copper Marans mixed Daddy.
To get an egg that dark green, I'd suspect some Marans in her. If her mother lays brown, the blue must have come from Dad...so I'd say that any others you get from him will have green eggs as well..

Lovely looking egg from a Lovely looking Girl!

That is an interesting green egg color! She does look sort of like a black copper maran hen. Maybe that is mixed in her.

Back
Top Bottom