Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Can anyone tell me if my beautiful ee is a roo? I'm praying no as this will be the second roo we got out of 6 chicks and we can't have roosters where I live. The chicks are ~ 15 weeks. Those long tail feathers have me quite concerned.

Thanks in advance!

A 15 weeks it would have started crowing already... Saddle and hackle feather are round...

I think next month you'll have blue/green eggs

A 15 weeks it would have started crowing already... Saddle and hackle feather are round...

I think next month you'll have blue/green eggs

My roo didn't crow until 19 weeks... but I do agree with the feathers on it being a pullet :)

My black n white EE girl lays the green egg pictured below, though in person the color is brighter.

My roo didn't crow until 19 weeks... but I do agree with the feathers on it being a pullet
smile.png

My black n white EE girl lays the green egg pictured below, though in person the color is brighter.

I guess I'm going by my flock. This year I had eight cockerels start crowing between 6 and 8 weeks.... Nice egg....

Last edited:
This is a wonderful thread and oh so helpful! This summer I added an Ameraucana to my backyard flock of Buff Orpingtons and Black Austalorps. She was from an urban farm store and I suspect she is really an EE so I visited this thread to learn more. Wow! To everyone who has posted on this thread---Thanks so much for your advice, knowledge, and photos. I still think I have a pullet ( oh please)
hu.gif
because people have posted photos of their hens that like very much like mine. I didn't realize that EE come in so many different colors and varieties.

Here are close up comb pics of the chick in question in the last few pages. The general looks of this one are so pretty, which is what initially worried me, it's always the beautiful ones....The comb is so far looking narrow and pale. That's not a complete guarantee of course, but there's hope. This one looks pretty young still.
I think I know the answer but I wanted confirmation on this episode of roo or not
The head on this one seems girly. I would also expect a bigger and redder comb on a bird this age by now if it were male. I'd say pullet more strongly in light of these things, despite some coloring on the wings that is a bit reddish brown.

Can anyone tell me if my beautiful ee is a roo? I'm praying no as this will be the second roo we got out of 6 chicks and we can't have roosters where I live. The chicks are ~ 15 weeks. Those long tail feathers have me quite concerned.

Thanks in advance!

Looks like a pretty pullet to me.

Here are close up comb pics of the chick in question in the last few pages.

Yes, nice narrow and pale comb so far. The salmon color coming in on the breast is a good sign too! Couple of check marks have been removed from the cockerel column and put in the pullet column. YAY! I'll keep thinking girly thoughts for you!

Back
Top Bottom